Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DickB

Teaser fly for sand eel surfcasting rig for Cape Cod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Thinking of adding a teaser fly above the hook/sinker for casting bay and ocean at Cape Cod.  I fish with sand eels on the hook.  Thoughts on rigging--height above hook, length of mono to teaser, fly (sand eel imitation, hook size, streamer length??), tie up, etc.?  Ideas on effectiveness, increases in hits? 

Thanks.

As Ron says, use the search feature, there has been lots of threads on this subject, probably enough for a book. I am a big fan of using a teaser and probably catch at least half of my bass on the teaser in any given year. Lots of different ways to make teasers, my preference is to use saddle hackles because I just think that the feathers move better in the water than bucktail or synthetic materials. As a result of reading some of the threads about teasers I have lengthened my leader over the years and feel that it makes a difference, I like the leader at least 36 inches and more often longer, it will slow down your casting stroke a bit but once you get used to it I think it draws more strikes. Good luck with your experimentation.

On the cape you can probably go to any tackle shop and get flies. Flies obviously are great teasers and mimic live fish better than artificials due to that fact that they pulse and sway and swim in water just by putting it in moving water but don't overlook refills and vision rain fish and artificials like that they work very well. Also replacement siwaish replacement bucktails work great. Get a bunch and try them out