Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flytyingboy

Big early season trout

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My biggest trout in the Mianus River. My friend and I were trying out a new spot with a really deep pool when this big brown came up and hit my friends strike indicator. My friend tried skating the indicator again and it came up and smashed it. I was streamer fishing and he told me to throw my woolly bugger in the pool see if it would hit it. It sure did. The trout fought for eight minutes or so before it gave up. Here is the video if you would like to see it.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. My friend and i were debating whether it was a sea run or not. The trout was unusually large for the size of stream we were fishing. I do now for a fact that sea runs do go into this river because I've seen some at the fish ladder by the dam but I am not sure how to tell. Does anyone know how to tell if there is anyway? Thanks in advance.

The Mianus isn't that big, and this is the time of year for sea-run browns, the one fish properly denoted as "sea trout," to show up. I think it's a pretty safe bet that this was a sea trout.

I would question the sea trout theory because of the color of the fish, sea trout are generally very silver and don't have tons of spots. Big browns turn up in odd spots, I don't know what that fish measured, but I've caught some pretty big fish in a river that would seem comparable in size, it's always a surprise though.

JC

Nice fish!  Didn't know until the last year or so that Westchester county had so much trout fishing (thanks to this board), sea trout, even!  Next time my girlfriend and I visit her family, I'll make sure to bring the gear.

Nice work. Great video. I have done a bit of prospecting the saltwater part of the Mianus. NEver got up into the fresh part. It looks like fun. Just be careful what you post here about locations. You don't need five extra guys going out to your river--let them find their own fish through their own hard work. Of course its personal choice--outside the no-spotburning rules. But not everyone is into catch and release like you...

also, come to think of it, I suggest you change your screenname--i.e. get rid of the boy part: as you well know, the internet is full of weirdos, and you don't want to be announcing your age to strangers.

to illustrate my point: I had a screenname on another site. The name came from a local high school. Happened to be the name of a famous-in-some-circles british criminal of history. One day I get an e-mail from a board member hundreds of miles away who I'd never met or corresponded with but who I knew as a regular poster on the site. He wants to know why I named myself after this famous british criminal. Now, that may have been a very honest inquiry, out of the blue. But I read it that this board member had an interest in the kind of crime this famous british criminal had been involved in and that this board member was hoping we could "correspond" about it. Had to disappoint him with the news of my screennames quotidian origin. I hope I was wrong about that guy (maybe he thought I was doing what I suspected him of doing) but still you never know who's out there...

sorry to Polonius here.

The Mianus River has a reputation for being a place that receives some big stocked trout. I know that in very recent years there were some surprizingly large fish stocked (and then caught) in the Merrybrook Road section. This is most likely a stocked fish. One that was released recently or perhaps released last Fall through sometime this Winter.

Nice catch.

Mark

I would question the sea trout theory because of the color of the fish, sea trout are generally very silver and don't have tons of spots. Big browns turn up in odd spots, I don't know what that fish measured, but I've caught some pretty big fish in a river that would seem comparable in size, it's always a surprise though.

JC

The Mianus River has a reputation for being a place that receives some big stocked trout. This is most likely a stocked fish.

Nice catch.

Mark

I'm inclined to agree with Jon and Mark.

I Actually think it was a holdover. It was in a deep pool which i don't think a lot of people fish. I've heard the thing about how sea run trout are silvery and this one was anything but. I'm not sure though, doesn't matter anyways i guess.

@okisutch yeah now that i think of it thats a good idea. I looked at the edit profile but i couldn't figure out how to do it? would you happen to know how? Thanks

I Actually think it was a holdover. It was in a deep pool which i don't think a lot of people fish. I've heard the thing about how sea run trout are silvery and this one was anything but. I'm not sure though, doesn't matter anyways i guess.

@okisutch yeah now that i think of it thats a good idea. I looked at the edit profile but i couldn't figure out how to do it? would you happen to know how? Thanks

LOL. Good now we can laugh about it. Contact the moderators or just start a new account, edit all your psots in this thread and destroy them, then repost thread. Do not pick the following names:

13yoflytyguy

8thGradeTier

Stuff like that. Your film production partner has the right idea.