Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
middletucky

Bunker versus Mullet

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Okay, I've heard a hundred times that bunker is better cut bait than mullet.  In my (limited) experience, I've had mixed results with both.

What are your thoughts?

How much does freshness of the choice make a difference to you?

Would you ever fish with frozen mullet?

Freshest is the bestest.

I prefer cobbs, but will fish with bunker, if its fresher, sometimes I will have both.

Are we talking drum fishin or striper fishing? If drummin I prefer the mullet, if bassin I prefer bunker, but thats JMHO. I dont think the fish care, if its in front of them they will eat.

Yes to frozen mullet, especially cobb heads in the spring.

When chunked mullet will last longer on the hook without getting waterlogged.

When casting bunker flies off the hook more than mullet.

Mullet heads fish better than bunker heads.

If I ever had to eat my bait, I would prefer mullet.

Spring-fatback,menhaden,poggies,whatever you want to call them,oh and tuna belly is even better..

Fall-mullet,mullet,and more mullet.. Frozen cobheads,or fresh,both work well and keep pickers off better than a piece of menhaden...

Not really DD, but you gotta keep some stuff under your cuff. How are those of us who need every edge we can get gonna compete with the newbies...at least we know how to hold our mouths right...

BTW you didnt miss anything last sat, except moving the truck once or twice more...and some doggies;)

Not really DD, but you gotta keep some stuff under your cuff. How are those of us who need every edge we can get gonna compete with the newbies...at least we know how to hold our mouths right...

BTW you didnt miss anything last sat, except moving the truck once or twice more...and some doggies;)

Was that you to the south?? Why no "hi howyadoin"???

Father son time is important DD, didnt want to encroach... if Im not infringing I'll say hi next time...

Anytime!! Found a "decent hole" there,but we could have made room for another.. Years back,was by myself and found a hole.. Some folks that I knew from the fishing boards stopped by.. Time it was all said and done,all 6 of us had caught 3 biggun's apiece! They were the first ones that year,and we all had a blast tagging and releasing.. Not that I want to be crowded out,but you're welcome to stop by and say hello anytime... A guy from THIS board was on the beach one morning,that I had never met (Crittergitter) aka Dave.. He shared his spot with me and a friend.. He had been catching all night. I was not that lucky that day,missed 2..:mad: The guy that came with me caught his first at Ocock,and I watched as others were caught.. It happens,but don't mind fishing with company and possibility of making new friends is a good thing..

Hope both of us have better luck next time...

Anytime!! Found a "decent hole" there,but we could have made room for another.. Years back,was by myself and found a hole.. Some folks that I knew from the fishing boards stopped by.. Time it was all said and done,all 6 of us had caught 3 biggun's apiece! They were the first ones that year,and we all had a blast tagging and releasing.. Not that I want to be crowded out,but you're welcome to stop by and say hello anytime... A guy from THIS board was on the beach one morning,that I had never met (Crittergitter) aka Dave.. He shared his spot with me and a friend.. He had been catching all night. I was not that lucky that day,missed 2..:mad: The guy that came with me caught his first at Ocock,and I watched as others were caught.. It happens,but don't mind fishing with company and possibility of making new friends is a good thing..

Hope both of us have better luck next time...

Thanks DD. The entrance to that hole and elongated sandbar a few yards south is what I had my eye on. Figured they would have ran that slough after blitzing all afternoon on those shoals. But it wasnt meant to be. I'll stop by if I see you this week, but have been having back problems so dont know how much fishing im gonna be doing...