Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cfire06

New to Kayak Fishing

11 posts in this topic

I have had a kayak for years, never fished on it, it is an 11' ocean kayak, could i use that to fish with? what would i need or need to do to it to make it fishable? is there holders etc that would be removable?

I'm of the school of thought that if it floats you can fish from it! You have to do nothing to fish from any 11' Ocean Kayak or any brand that size. What model is it, Scrambler? You can usually put in permanent flush mount rod holders behind the seat and also us RAM or Scotty mounts for semi-removeable ones. Check out the thread "show us your rides" it is current and there are many pictures of how guys set up their yaks! That said I spent most of my day yesterday making a new hatch for my Ocean Kayak 4.3, and not fishing. Be very careful it is obsessive once you catch one, hell even if you don't catch it is still fishing!........jack

yes it is a scrambler thanks i appreciate the info, we lost our boat in Sandy and have one on order so i believe i will be fishing from the side of the river the beach and the kayak for the forseeable future! what would you use for a rod? any suggestions? Thanks so much Btw!

I use casting reels on the yak for the most part, but still consider myself a newbie. I prefer rods to be no more then 6'6" for storing in my hull, but there as many thoughts on rods ,as rods. A 704 that you are attached to should be attached to your yak by a leash when fishing. search this forum for anything you need there are lots of great ideas here!.........Jack

All you really need is your PDF and your rod and tackle. From a safety perspective, an air horn/whistle, GPS, VHF and cell phone really should also be considered "must haves" if you are fishing coastal waters... don't really need them on small lakes, etc.

Fish it a few times like that and you will gradually figure out what else you want/need.

It does get addicting. You just might end up cancelling that boat order.

Having a whistle is the law in NY. As is wearing the PFD 'while underway" up until 5-1. You can also be asked to produce a marine registry card.