Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott Shaw

Eastern Sierra/California

3 posts in this topic

Got back last week from a week in the Sierra's.The weather was great(60's and 70's in day,30's at night)I started at Lake Mary which sets in a basin at 8000 ft. surrounded by 12000 ft. granite peaks.Heavy forest covers the basin.The fishing was slow so I jerked camp and headed for the June Lk. loop,a series of four lakes that are about 25 miles north of Mary.I camped at Silver Lk.,a medium size lake that is at about 7000 ft.Although the fishing in the lake was not fast,I ventured up the feeder creek that pours into Silver.There I found crystal pools that had mucho trout;mostly Rainbows.One hole had over 25 visable trout.The buggers only took bait or lures at the last hour of the day,but after catching dinner I would paddle the couple of miles to camp,which was at the other end of the lake.After four days knocking the creek,I traveled over Tioga pass,9000 ft. plus into Yosemite Nat'l Park.This is one fantastically beautiful place.I paddled Tenaya Lk.,a jewel of a lake that is near 9000 ft.,but not much in the way of fishing as the Fed's do not take much interest in the fishing and stocking park lakes.The road con't down into the Yosemite valley,the part of the park that is most familar to TV viewers that have never been to the park.A side trip to check out Bass lake,a 4000 ft. lake in the lower part of the western Sierra,and then home.All in all,a great vacation.I used my Pungo,the larger Dolphin never came of the roof of the truck.Scott

Scott - its sure a nice time of year to be in the Sierras. This time of year was always my favorite in the mountains. The fishing in Yosemite isn't much but what a scenic place. Last trip I did out that way was to Granite Dome, in the Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite. We had excellent fishing for golden and rainbow trout. Impossible to take a kayak in however. If I were out there now I'd be fishing the lakes just north of Rt. 80 in the I-80 Recreation Lands. Bowman's got some big trout in it. Great camping, 4wd, mtn. biking. I use to spend a lot of time up there.

Things are about to break here with the fall run in NJ. Soon it will be excellent action for stripers as they blitz baitfish during the day. Last year was a good seasom but this year I've got a yak and can't wait.

Tight lines and favorable winds.

I have done some fishing in the I-80 area with a longtime buddy from Rio Vista (Sacramento)but that is on the other end of the stste for me,5 hours just to his house.The area just north of Yosemite is every bit as nice as the park.I drove over Sonora pass in 93 after an archery deer hunt.That is one trip I will do again,this time for the fishing.Scott