Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
takeafishboatin

post a pic and back story of one of your greatest/most memorable catches!

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I want everyone (who is interested) to post a pic of just one or even two of their greatest catches! Maybe it is a huge fish, or maybe its just the conditions you caught the fish under,or just a crazy series of events that lead to you catching it! Doesn't matter as long as it was special to you and you felt it helped define you as a fisherman and it was something you will never forget!

Ill go first!1000

My most memorable catch was a 14 ft. 1000 lb + tiger shark caught off the beach paddling baits out in a kayak. Caught with a 10/0 Penn senator on 150lb power pro, it took almost 4 hours. The drag locked up 3 times on us from getting so hot from her 500 plus yard runs and we had to pour ice water from the beer cooler on it to keep from getting pulled into the gulf of Mexico. Without a stand up harness, it would not have been possible! When we finally got her to the sand bar, I passed the rod and I got in the water with her. Being in the water and holding onto that shark was one of the most surreal and humbling experiences ive ever had fishing, and I truly believe I will never come close to landing something that large standing off the beach again!

The biggest fish I ever caught (nearly 70lb black drum) was caught when I was only 10 or so years old back in the mid 70's out of Pt Pleasant, NJ while drifling a fluke belly/killie combo for fluke - not sure if I'm proud of that or embarrassed that I've (as an adult of nearly 50 years) thus far been outdone by the child version of myself...LOL:

My most memorable catch would have to be my first Giant Blue Fin Tuna when I was 17.

I spent the winter and spring before my first season tuna fishing in "Tuna Training".

This day everything just went right. After the initial hook up and chaos I got a brief training on how to properly fight the fish from the guy in the pic and then fought the fish by myself for over an hour. The tuna was 650lbs and did very well at the auction in Japan.

This was by far my most memorable catch.

My most memorable catch would have to be my first Giant Blue Fin Tuna when I was 17.

I spent the winter and spring before my first season tuna fishing in "Tuna Training".

This day everything just went right. After the initial hook up and chaos I got a brief training on how to properly fight the fish from the guy in the pic and then fought the fish by myself for over an hour. The tuna was 650lbs and did very well at the auction in Japan.

This is a great story. I can't imagine catching a fish of that size at 17!

This is a great story. I can't imagine catching a fish of that size at 17!

That's. Awesome! Bluefin is on my bucket list! I would love to take a shot a free dive spearfishing one!

Hooking a sailfish off a pier is very rare occurrence. Landing a sailfish after its hooked is even rarer and comes with a certain degree of respect in the pier fishing community. I have had the priveledge to land two from the pier. I gaffed my first one that is pictured here. Weighing in at 55lbs. My second one was a 70 pounder and I released that one after it was landed. First one was caught on a vs200, and the second was caught on a Z 27

Probably this guy... only because I was messing around with light tackle catching grovers off the dock when two big cudas cruised up. I told my wife and fam to "watch this," took a little grover on the tiny hooks I was fishing and tossed it at the cuda. The fight was crazy and at one point I thought I surely lost it as the cuda wrapped itself around a mooring rope, but somehow managed to get it free. I landed it and the hook was bent as hell. For a non-fishing family I was the hero. Fun stuff. 1000

2 halibut.

First one a California halibut caught in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico 2006

Second one an Atlantic halibut caught last summer on Georges bank.

I was in a wetsuit casting for schoolies off the north sand beaches at Amagabset. It was about 5.20 AM first light..

I had a 10 foot Ron Arra and a old greenie with 20 pound braid and was casting a bomber with a red gill teaser when I saw a huge boil around my plug.. I slowed down and then she took it.. I set the plug and noticed it as was a 3 ton wright whale thrashing in the froth. My drag screamed as I fought to turn her head.. any other mere mortal would have panicked but my years of experience and cool nerves kept me locked into the concentration and soon the beast was beached..

I turned around and saw Christi Brinkley walking down the beach in a thong admiring my achievement and my irresistible Surfcaster belly. With all due respect to my fellow musician Billy Joel I resisted her seductive advances and just asked her to please take a picture of my catch which she did.

I then lifted the creature with one hand as Christy looked on panting in heat as I gently walked the whale into the surf where I revived her "see photo"... the whale swam away unharmed.. Those red gill teasers are dynamite!

It was just another day in the crazy life of Awesome John...

I was in a wetsuit casting for schoolies off the north sand beaches at Amagabset. It was about 5.20 AM first light..

I had a 10 foot Ron Arra and a old greenie with 20 pound braid and was casting a bomber with a red gill teaser when I saw a huge boil around my plug.. I slowed down and then she took it.. I set the plug and noticed it as was a 3 ton wright whale thrashing in the froth. My drag screamed as I fought to turn her head.. any other mere mortal would have panicked but my years of experience and cool nerves kept me locked into the concentration and soon the beast was beached..

I turned around and saw Christi Brinkley walking down the beach in a thong admiring my achievement and my irresistible Surfcaster belly. With all due respect to my fellow musician Billy Joel I resisted her seductive advances and just asked her to please take a picture of my catch which she did.

I then lifted the creature with one hand as Christy looked on panting in heat as I gently walked the whale into the surf where I revived her "see photo"... the whale swam away unharmed.. Those red gill teasers are dynamite!

It was just another day in the crazy life of Awesome John...

Where can I get that lure, and your workout routine?