Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyDee

Microwave motor for spinner HELP !

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Went fishing tonight and found a MICROWAVE with a TURNTABLE on the way to the spot !!!

I want to make a plug spinner with it !

I'm going to open it up tomorrow and remove the motor and post pics of what i come up with. Hopefully somebody out there who has done this before can help me figure out what i need to do. I'm not sure how to wire it up to a plug. Is it as simple as crimping the wires to an extension cord plug or an old cell phone charger? I don't know..I would like to document the build and post it here as a how to for anyone else who might want to build one.

Thanks

There might be a transformer converting the ac to dc to drive the motor. May be wrong but keep an eye on the wiring before you tear it apart too much to ensure you can identify the right device. Don't want to accidentally fire up the cooker part when it's on your workbench.

Just turn the micro over and you should be able to remove two screws for the small cover. Then the motor itself will have two screws. There will be two tabs for wires, the white being ground side. You can just use an extension cord crimped or make new connectors. I just pulled two from entirely different microwaves and the motors are the same. Post up pics of your spinner when done.

I'm gonna have to start carrying around a screwdriver set, next microwave i see on the side of the road im going to pull the motor from!  i need another spinner!

I wish i had my camera for a shot of JD hoping out of the car in the middle of traffic to grab a microwave on the side of the road.  people were looking at us being like ***????  headscratch.gif

Haha FT! That would have been hilarious!

I tried and FRIED the motor, but i learned what not to do next time. I got a lead on a pile of microwaves that i will be hitting hard in the near future. Just bringing screwdrivers next time. I dont need another butchered microwave to get rid of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyDee View Post

Haha FT! That would have been hilarious!

I tried and FRIED the motor, but i learned what not to do next time. I got a lead on a pile of microwaves that i will be hitting hard in the near future. Just bringing screwdrivers next time. I dont need another butchered microwave to get rid of.

I hope you will be publishing bloopers in your documentation. No injuries sustained I hope.

rotisserie motors are on ebay for as little as $22 shipped. They are designed to handle weight up to 20lb, far more than a spinner. The little motors in a microwave will not handle the weigh of a spinner and plugs. i tried one and it failed.

I've been using microwave turntable motors on my spinner for 3 years now. Only have had one fail and that was after a year and a half of use, the teeth on the plastic gears inside the motor stripped probably because I would rotate the spinner with the power off to remove my plugs after epoxy. It's simple to wire up I use old lamp cords or any cord with 2 prongs. Save the tray that goes under the glass turntable that fits over the shaft of the motor. It will give you an attachment point for your wheel of your spinner or threaded rod.

You can scrap the microwave carcass and put the money towards some plug building materials or paint..

I'll agree with the others the rotisserie motor is probably the way to go, but you definitely can build a spinner that will work using a microwave carousel motor.

rotisserie motors are on ebay for as little as $22 shipped. They are designed to handle weight up to 20lb, far more than a spinner. The little motors in a microwave will not handle the weigh of a spinner and plugs. i tried one and it failed.

Bought that motor on e-bay.....works great, 2 RPM and has an on/off switch.....