Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbizzle

Line Capacity for King Mackerel?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I've read anywhere from 250 yards of #15 to at least 300 yards of #20, so what do y'all think? Also what size rod for catching them on a pier? I'm also using live bait not lures.

Ok. How does the #15 hold up against the 30+ smokers. I know you can catch the biggest fish on the smallest of line, but you'll have a check of a time doing it.

Used 15# pink Ande on a penn 706 for years. Just keep your line fresh and you will be just fine. The biggest issue is controlling the fish when you get him back to the pier. Let him run out a good ways so he will be worn out when he gets back in.

Three runs and out on top of the water when it broke, at the leader It didn't look like a kink. Leader was about 20'' long ,got back about 6' They make some strong runs. It was like watching TV

It wasn.t the braid, its the leader. Next time I will use coated wire.

We had a nice smoker on and lost it with 20 lb steel leader and 30 lb braid 113h penn reel

Use heavier leader than main line . I use 27lb Sevenstrand (non-coated) and 15lb Ande Backcountry mono on spinning tackle (Penn 706) with no problems.

I use the same setup on my Calcutta TE 401 also.

IMHO Braid causes more problems than it's worth King fishing.

300yds. of 15# mono and an 8' to 9' rod, capable of throwing the bait of your choice.

Don't know which pier or what way he is intending to fish,his location says Tenn? Sounds like a solid recommendation,especially in Fla.. In NC we usually pack on 400plus of 20 maybe even 30 mono when pinrigging.. Mainly because you will eventually come in contact with another line during the fight,and the 20 makes one feel a little less prone to line chaffing during the fight coming into contact with other rigs,which sometimes happens.. Also,at times we have PLENTY of current here. If that king gets into the current,then line capacity could be an issue. I have used a 6500 with 12 and maybe a little over 200yrds, caught plenty of kings up to 20 with that setup.. Having said that,I got dumped by one that was a bit bigger as well.. :D

On a boat,throw all the above out the window.. Spinner with some 14 braid,and knowing how to use that boat will catch most any king you want..

Don't know which pier or what way he is intending to fish,his location says Tenn?

Sorry I haven't been on too check on this. I'm fishing on a pier in Gulf Shores,Alabama, but not on a state pier. This pier is at a condo so maybe only 5 other people MAX fishing for kings on the end, and they're all cool enough to reel in their lines. There are also some cobia, jacks, occasional tampon, and redfish caught. So I would like to be on the safe side just in case I hook up with one of those. The reel I'm looking at now holds 320 yards of #20 line. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I just either freeline an LY or fish it under a cork.

One time when king mackerel actually made a strong showing in Buzzards bay, a friend and I caught 8 combined up to 10 lbs (using lighter size 4000 size shimano spinning reels)...other than that, I've caught two (one close to twenty pounds and one much less while on party boats using heavier conventional gear down in FL)...my impression from this small amount of experience is that they are schitzo in how they fight...on the lighter gear here in MA, a couple of them were brought to the boat in roughly the same amount of time as a fair sized schoolie striper (except when they got to the boat, they went more ape shiate than a schoolie striper) while a couple of others had me believing I had a false albacore on (which were also in the area that day)...we also found a couple of spanish that day, but they were too small to make a fair comparison in fighting ability...

So I guess my point is that of all the king mackerel I've caught, none of them (including the ones I caught in FL on conventional gear) really required anything more than a 4000/5000 sized shimano reel (or equivalent size of other brands) with 200 yards of 12 lb mono/20 lb braid...however, they do get considerably bigger than what I caught and I'm sure 'supersizing' your gear according to what you believe you're going to catch would be entirely appropriate...

Quote:

Originally Posted by albacized View Post

One time when king mackerel actually made a strong showing in Buzzards bay, a friend and I caught 8 combined up to 10 lbs (using lighter size 4000 size shimano spinning reels)...other than that, I've caught two (one close to twenty pounds and one much less while on party boats using heavier conventional gear down in FL)...my impression from this small amount of experience is that they are schitzo in how they fight...on the lighter gear here in MA, a couple of them were brought to the boat in roughly the same amount of time as a fair sized schoolie striper (except when they got to the boat, they went more ape shiate than a schoolie striper) while a couple of others had me believing I had a false albacore on (which were also in the area that day)...we also found a couple of spanish that day, but they were too small to make a fair comparison in fighting ability...

So I guess my point is that of all the king mackerel I've caught, none of them (including the ones I caught in FL on conventional gear) really required anything more than a 4000/5000 sized shimano reel (or equivalent size of other brands) with 200 yards of 12 lb mono/20 lb braid...however, they do get considerably bigger than what I caught and I'm sure 'supersizing' your gear according to what you believe you're going to catch would be entirely appropriate...

It also depends on what else is around light line doesn't come into play when a t head is saying thanks for lunch.