Help! Alberto Knot Failure

Rate this topic

killapete3

Hey guys,

This is for a braid to Flouro alberto knot. Heres the problem. It seems like the top 'coils' in my alberto knots are coming loose and jumping all the way down back over to the braid side. This is after many casts. I'm pretty careful to make sure the not is tightened slowly and it seems so tight and compact when I'm done with it. Part of me thinks I am leaving the flouro tag a tad to long and it is catching the guides on the way out. Maybe that force is loosening the top coils of the knot?

Or maybe I'm tighting it wrong or maybe just some super glue will fix the problem. Anyone else have this issue or have ideas to fix it?

I've had mixed results with the Alberto knot. On a couple of my freshwater bass rigs, I've used it to join 30 lbs. Sufix braid to 10 or 12 lbs. fluoro top-shot and it's never failed; can haul trees with it. However, I experimented with it last season on a surf rig, joining 20 lbs. Fireline to 30 lbs. mono, and it popped more than once on me way too easily.

"Some people are immune to good advice." - Saul Goodman

How long is your leader and what are you using for braid?

I use hollow braid and splice the leader in when I want a long leader 10' +

If recall correctly I saw a post showing an overhand knot tied (leader) around the braid with the tag end of the leader going under a uni knot tied in the braid (I thought Stewie posted it but can't find it)

here we go: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/887031/knots/15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post

How long is your leader and what are you using for braid?

I use hollow braid and splice the leader in when I want a long leader 10' +

If recall correctly I saw a post showing an overhand knot tied (leader) around the braid with the tag end of the leader going under a uni knot tied in the braid (I thought Stewie posted it but can't find it)

here we go: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/887031/knots/15

This is for a shockleader.....it has to go through the guides. If it was outside the guides only, wuld use a swivel. I have a variety of cominations in my set ups, primarily: Super Slick 30 to 40 flouro; super slick 50 to 50 flouor, 65 lb pp to 80 lb flouro

Lost the fish of my life using that knot. The braid slipped right out of the knot from the leader leader. When it happened it was slow motion, Watching the 40+ slob slip off the rock into the sea was a heart breaking moment :( Never forgot that day!!! `

My buddy warned me not to use that knot. I should have just stick with the palomar knot, And yes i tied the alberto knot all winter long until i perfected it.

The Alberto Knot is a sick knot when tied correctly. It's not easy to tie out in the field at night with cold hands...hell it's not easy for me to tie at home with warm hands. If tied incorrectly it will slip, if you tie it correctly the knot will not slip.

That's why I still just use a swivel for line to leader connections that do not pass through my guides.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

My guess is you're tying it wrong. Any knot that isnt tied tight enough has the potential to slip, which will increase your chances of it failing. I found the alberto knot to less forgiving if it's not tied tight enough. You really need to crank down on it to cinch it up well. Ive been using the knot for several years and have had no problems with it but I also don't let it pass through my guides on my spinning outfits.

Living the dream... one sick day at a time!!

Definitely recommend the slim beauty or sebile knot with your braid setup.  I have a setup that has size 8 runners that easily passes 30lb braid tied to 50lb mono with a sebile.  It sails through my guides.

One other option is to move up the braid to 50 or 65lb and skip the shock leader.  Just add a 3 - 4 ft bite leader using a swivel which will be outside of your tip.  You won't break off.