Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epparker

Tuna patterns

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

It all depends on the bait - many times you can guarantee sandeels and squid will be on every tunas menu....especially in the fall. For sandeels I like popovics stick candies (long shank hook) to represent a sandeel body. I also like Steve Farrars MV sandeel on a short shank varivas. The varivas are said to be some of the toughest hooks in the world. If you search online, the varivas is used a lot by many of the pro tarpon guys, they are used to set the hook on a tough mouth.

Best of luck

Joe

When creating a fly for tuna weather little tunny or football bluefin maybe even yellowfin off the canyons the hook is the most important and the foundation of tying .

Do not skimp or use cheap hooks. I like Tiemco 600sp, varivas , and AKI . Then match the hatch .

As far as hook size I would use anything from 1/0 for small flies to 4/0 for adult sand eels . Need a variety of sizes and profiles .

Great looking flies. Sweet

I have seen Daiichi hooks failed ( broken ) and I am not using Mustad anymore. These need Tiemco or Owner hook. Just my opinion.

I have these on 5/0 Akis and 600SP and on 6/0 SL12S too, but can't really imagine braking these hooks eather with a fly rod in hand. It was pretty hard work trying to bend them with pliers!

Tying the next ones on 5/0 600SP's.

Don't like the Aki's - if they corrode or if you hit the boat with them and they loose their sharpness, they are impossible to sharpen up.

Don't like the Aki's - if they corrode or if you hit the boat with them and they loose their sharpness, they are impossible to sharpen up.

That's going to be the case with any high carbon steel hook, and the aki has proven itself time and time again as the most durable. If you don't like the aki, you're going to absolutely despise the 600SP.

That's going to be the case with any high carbon steel hook, and the aki has proven itself time and time again as the most durable. If you don't like the aki, you're going to absolutely despise the 600SP.

That might be. :)

Not supposed to sharpen carbon hooks anyway.

When you are targeting pelagics or trophy fish terminal tackle should be top notch ! Actually all your tackle should be the best in the game. That's one thing I never skimped on. Of course cost is always a factor but I'd rather have a good reel and terminal tackle and if there is a place to be cost effective its the rod. TFO makes good blue water rods battle tested as well as cam sigler.

In the long run the boat and gas is your biggest expense.

The hook was broken not bended , Daiichi SC17 2/0. With a fly rod , I could only see the head of the fish. It´s much better that this don´t happen againg because a hook default. I have ever tried with Varivas, for trophy fish you might go for the best.

Your Flies are great I think that they " swim " the way that they look like. :)

I totally understand your points. The last thing I would ever save on is the leader material and the hook. Learned it by previous mistakes.

I just feel that 6/0 Big Gun is heavy enough for anything that would eat a fly. If someone has had one brake with a fish I would appreciate the info. I feel confident with my other hooks as well. 5/0 600SP, 5/0 Aki and Gamakatsus SL12S 6/0. As said before just don't like the fact wit the AKi that it dulls up easily and when it does its bye bye. The materials on those flies are very hard to come by these days so I hate to ruin a fly with just one bad cast, so that's why I won't buy any more Aki's.

I have no east coast tuna experience but have had good luck on the west coast using light pink 2-3 " long clousers.

For some reason the Yellowfin really like that color.

SF