Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeneralSwimBait

Helen H Charter trips.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Just checking to see if anyone has ever gone on their 2 day charter out to George's Bank for YFT, Big eye, Mahi, etc? I have a friend who invited me this year in October. Im looking forward to it i know that. I plan on taking my 7' Terez & new Saltiga 6500 along too. Any feedback on gear i should bring would be very helpful. Thanks and tight lines just around the corner for everyone this season. Cheers!

I went last year the weekend after Labor Day. Hurricanes Michael and Leslie were offshore so we steamed about 10 hours southwest to Hudson Canyon. It was still rougher than heck. I'd guess 10'+ waves.  Didn't raise a thing on the troll the first afternoon. Anchored up at dusk and 2 people hooked up with longfin albacore on bait. Then nothing through early AM, til at some point 2 yellowfins were caught on jigs. I couldn't take the waves very good in the dark when I couldn't see the horizon. I'd fish for an hour and crawl inside and lay down for a couple. It was a long night. At dawn we trolled again for a few hours without anything showing. Then another 9-10 hour steam home. We all got discount cards off a future trip due to the poor outing.

If you already have a reservation that's probably good. They load the boat in order of when the reservation was made. There's a limited number of bunks on the deck level. Grab one quick. Otherwise you'll either end up in the diesel fumes dungeon below deck or on a small bench seat in the bow. Your Saltiga and Terez should be fine. 4-8oz diamond and/or butterfly jigs. It's handy to have metered braid so when the Capt' marks fish you can drop to the depth he says. 50-70# should suffice, with a topshot of similar mono or flouro. They rent (usually $40 I think) Shimano 50 setups for fishing bait if you want. Bring a few lightsticks if you want to try for a sword. And a light rig with squid jigs to catch some fresh bait. Coolers must be tied down when steaming so bring some rope, And obviously rain gear, snacks, and drinks.

If I go again it'll be on short notice with a good weather window and hopefully decent reports on the last few prior trips. Never again with a hurricane near.  tongue.gif

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I went last year the weekend after Labor Day. Hurricanes Michael and Leslie were offshore so we steamed about 10 hours southwest to Hudson Canyon. It was still rougher than heck. I'd guess 10'+ waves.  Didn't raise a thing on the troll the first afternoon. Anchored up at dusk and 2 people hooked up with longfin albacore on bait. Then nothing through early AM, til at some point 2 yellowfins were caught on jigs. I couldn't take the waves very good in the dark when I couldn't see the horizon. I'd fish for an hour and crawl inside and lay down for a couple. It was a long night. At dawn we trolled again for a few hours without anything showing. Then another 9-10 hour steam home. We all got discount cards off a future trip due to the poor outing.

If you already have a reservation that's probably good. They load the boat in order of when the reservation was made. There's a limited number of bunks on the deck level. Grab one quick. Otherwise you'll either end up in the diesel fumes dungeon below deck or on a small bench seat in the bow. Your Saltiga and Terez should be fine. 4-8oz diamond and/or butterfly jigs. It's handy to have metered braid so when the Capt' marks fish you can drop to the depth he says. 50-70# should suffice, with a topshot of similar mono or flouro. They rent (usually $40 I think) Shimano 50 setups for fishing bait if you want. Bring a few lightsticks if you want to try for a sword. And a light rig with squid jigs to catch some fresh bait. Coolers must be tied down when steaming so bring some rope, And obviously rain gear, snacks, and drinks.

If I go again it'll be on short notice with a good weather window and hopefully decent reports on the last few prior trips. Never again with a hurricane near.  :p

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

By "topshot" u mean? What type of knot does that consist of? I have been curious on this topic for sometime and i want to make sure i tie & choose the right leader materials needed? Mono or flouro? I will be using Samarai braid 55# and my rod is rated 50-100lb. I already know i wanna have some Ron Z 5oz rigged eels as well as some Carlson tuna jigs and some Shimano Orca 3oz as well.

I have done this trip twice. once in 2006, and again in 2007. I got skunked on my first trip, but on my second trip I landed a mahi,& two Yellowfins a 60# and another about 80# and I lost another one. It gets crazy on the boat when the yellow fin get under the boat. Half the boat can hook up on fish at the same time... I rented equipment. He had shimano two speed reels on Loomis tuna sticks when I went.. I would not want to hook up on a fish with-out a two speed reel. Nothing good happens by fighting a fish for a long time on this boat. (tangle half the boat) My goal was to get them on the deck as fast a possible. I caught both mine on Butter fish bait. The guy next to me caught a small sword fish on the trip and another guy on the boat caught a decent mako. We were somewhere on the Canyons, south of Nantucket??.

IMO I would rent the tuna gear, but also bring a good spinning rig for mahi and squid...

it was about $300 plus tip... now it is $350-400... I fished for a long time... You start out trolling. they put out a 6-8 rod trolling spread and you get turns waiting at a rod... Then at dusk they set anchor in 400-500 feet of water. and they start chumming.. then set your tuna bait and wait & fish all night, jig for squid, or throw at the Mahi cruising under the boat. in the morning we moved a did some jigging for bluefin ( zero catches).... I had a good time on both my trips, but it is expensive, and the next tuna i want to catch will be from my skiff...

it was about $300 plus tip... now it is $350-400... I fished for a long time... You start out trolling. they put out a 6-8 rod trolling spread and you get turns waiting at a rod... Then at dusk they set anchor in 400-500 feet of water. and they start chumming.. then set your tuna bait and wait & fish all night, jig for squid, or throw at the Mahi cruising under the boat. in the morning we moved a did some jigging for bluefin ( zero catches).... I had a good time on both my trips, but it is expensive, and the next tuna i want to catch will be from my skiff...
It's actually $400 not sure how long u fish but it will be my first time. Im determined to catch something. Really just prospecting some first hand experiences for myself to know what im up against. I would love to hook up on a BFT but who knows.Even YFT im sure is quite the fight. + Mahis at night as soon as my buddy said that i was sold!