Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

Hook Kids on Fishing - Fish Earth Month - FL - Anglers for Conservation

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Since SOL is a supporter of this program, I thought I'd add some photos to the site so you can see where the donation sent from the Food Fling for the group's program goes.

We had our kickoff HKOF program in Titusville, FL on Thursday. Some of the gang is down in Key West now, they did another there today. Throughout April, the two chapters (so far) of AFC will conduct 18 more HKOF programs throughout the state of FL.

The kids and their parents register for these completely FREE (to them) events. We have six stations, and the kids break up into groups and go through all six stations in about an hour or so. Usually afterwards, they get a chance to go fishing. This one was different, it was at a community center. We involved local community leaders and some seniors to volunteer at this one and had over 60 kids. There will be plenty more photos before the month is over though, I'd guess!

With help from grants from groups like Fish Florida, we are able to provide each kid that goes through our program a rod and reel and small tackle box that they get to keep. This year we raised enough money to also give the kids a take-away 24 page booklet about fishing and conservation that helps to keep what we teach the kids in their little heads. :)

There are really very few things in life more rewarding than being a part of this group and seeing a kid's eyes light up when they "get it"... whether that be a fish, figuring out how to tie that clinch knot, what a habitat is, that the rod and reel they are learning to cast is theirs to keep or any of the other Aha! moments that happen in a day.

Here's some photos from our very first one this year...

http://www.stripersonline.com/g/a/1866441/hook-kids-on-fishing-fish-earth-month/