Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakjoe

its not over!

7 posts in this topic

Fished on my buddys boat today...he was taking his boat out of the water and figured we would look for some birds for couple hours...well we found some and they were on herring...I caught or snagged a couple(not sure) and chucked them for a couple of fat 30 inch bass, one looked like it had swallowed a bowling ball. We would have stayed out longer but he told marina owner he would be out by 11:00...so we left with fish hitting...anybody game for fishing sunday with the kayaks?

Hey Joev can you give me some tips on catching these herrings? dont even know what a herring rig looks like

Hey Joey,

Glad to see you finally landed some bass as I know your fall/early winter season has been slow in the western sound. We have been banging the bass good over on my side of the pond on a pretty regular basis. Had fish up to 16lbs on my boat Friday. There on peanuts as well as herring. Hope to fish at least till Christmas. Still a lot of bass in Montauk. Anyway, a herring rig consists of small flashy teasers, usually strung like Christmas lights. If you have ever seen a mackeral rig, that is what one looks like with the exception being that the hooks are much smaller. Probably like a #2 or so. Any tackle shop should have them. You can attach a small jig to the bottom snap for weight. Throw it out and jig away. Good luck and keep in touch.

Tom

Joey A Sabki rig with small hooks (gold)with the pearl wings.Also try a Gags Grabber Shad king spoon (gold)on a 12 inch leader tied to a 1/4 oz shad dart red white (thats my favorite rig)Those Sabki rigs are a real hassle to stow after you use and becareful those hooks are like needles.Cant make it tommorow .Let us know how ya do.Sorry I did not get back to ya sooner but wife updated computer to AOL 7.0 and we had big problems.Talk to ya soon

joev

We didn't get out. the wind wouldn't lay down enough so I didn't go in. We'll be hitting it the day I won't be at a wholesale show. So either Tuesday or Wednesday will be the days. Rain's expected for Thursday and possibly into Friday.