Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
montauk10

fuji alconite k frame guide size for a surf rod question ?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys looking to build my first rod with fujis k frame guides and my question is what should the first guide size be.....the one closest to he reel sheet be for an 11 foot rod rated for 1-4 ounces thanks in advance for the help2

depends on what blank, what reel, action of the rod, etc.

so to help you you need to list the following info

reel, think you said its a vs 250 on your other post

what blank, model #

On most of my builds I used either a 30 or 25, most have a 25 as the first guide.

i would go with the KW30 stripper guide for the GSB. The rod has a parabolic bend into the butt. Using the 30 will distribute the rods load and utilize the butts power.. On stiffer newer design blank, you can use a 25 further up from spool lip. I still think Fugi needs a KW25 high frame!!!

If you would look down a page or so, you would find that some guys are finding that a very small size collector guide works quite well on a surf rod if you are using braid. Most of us still start with a 30 or 25, but several prominent posters advocate size 16 and even as small as 12 (see http://www.stripersonline.com/t/883705/test-cast-results-i-did-not-expect).

I think the height of the first guide is as or more important than the size. The K guides come a high and low version for the 30 and 40 sizes, smaller ones are all low framed. Single foot high frame K guides are available but many of us can't make the leap of faith for a surf rod. The 30 high is a nice guide to start with but a reduction train is problematic if you stick with double foot guides. You can make a real nice rod starting with a 30L or 25 but you may get a little line slap due to the lower frame of the collector. I am very tempted to do my current build (a Fiberstar Raptor 1066) starting with an LC 20 which is small and high and then switch over to KW's for the rest. I've been putting off wrapping this rod waiting for the KW guides to appear in a higher frame version for the 25, 20, and 16. They've been rumored to be coming but the rumor is already a year or more old.

(My error, the Fiberstar rod is a 1266X (10'6" long), not 1066.)

I think the height of the first guide is as or more important than the size. The K guides come a high and low version for the 30 and 40 sizes, smaller ones are all low framed. Single foot high frame K guides are available but many of us can't make the leap of faith for a surf rod. The 30 high is a nice guide to start with but a reduction train is problematic if you stick with double foot guides. You can make a real nice rod starting with a 30L or 25 but you may get a little line slap due to the lower frame of the collector. I am very tempted to do my current build (a Fiberstar Raptor 1066) starting with an LC 20 which is small and high and then switch over to KW's for the rest. I've been putting off wrapping this rod waiting for the KW guides to appear in a higher frame version for the 25, 20, and 16. They've been rumored to be coming but the rumor is already a year or more old.

I use LC guides as collectors, and like them, but I wouldn't suggest a LC 20 as a collector on a 9 foot rod (it would work fine on the 1321M, however) . The footprint is big and the guide heavy. For a 9 ft rod if the spool is small (2.25" and under) I'd try a titanium LC16m about 38" out (or I suppose a KLH 16). If the spool is large I'd try a KLH 20. My experience is that single foot guides are fine on a surf rod if you lock them in with a Forlan (sp?) wrap (although I've used them primarily as runners). They may get bent from time to time, but you can easily bend them back. They also cost a lot less than a Titanium LC guide and are very light. I know someone who builds and fishes his canal rods using a KLH-25 as his collector for a very large spooled reel (Emblem Pro) and swears by them. There are not many situations that put more stress on guides and a rod than the canal.