Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cougar91

Engagement ring advice

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

So I am going to pop the question soon and as I know nothing about engagement rings, I thought I asked the brain trust here for some experience and advice. Some of my questions are:

1) What is the best place to buy an engagement ring? Is it your local mom/pop jewelry store? Is it one of those national chains in the mall (Jared's, Kay's)? Is it on the Internet (like Bluenile dot com)? Is it the Diamond district in the city?

2) I assume some of these smaller places or even the larger chain allow price negotiation or am I wrong about that?

3) How much should one spend? It used to be 2 months of salary but I think that is out of the question for me (not that I am poor, but I don't see spending that much $ on a piece of rock, even though I never told her how much money I make). Is the 2 months thing still around?

4) What should I look for? Size? Cut? Shape? I know nothing about diamonds.

Thanks for the help.

Run

South America is nice this time of the year. Learn Spanish. Leave her an envelope saying you have a fatal disease so she won't really miss you.

PM Sageguy? I think it is him that is a gemologist. He will steer you right, but may make the same suggestions as me, and forty million other men.

Good luck to you for real. Don't spend too much. You have a life ahead of you two that will need financing.:shock:

Geez, how is sageguy doing?

I did the diamond district thing, with a referral. It worked out ok, can't say that I got a crazy deal though.

Run

South America is nice this time of the year. Learn Spanish. Leave her an envelope saying you have a fatal disease so she won't really miss you.

PM Sageguy? I think it is him that is a gemologist. He will steer you right, but may make the same suggestions as me, and forty million other men.

Good luck to you for real. Don't spend too much. You have a life ahead of you two that will need financing.:shock:

Come on man, you don't think I have heard the "don't get marry, stay single" thing from a ton of married guys, including some from this site I have met and fished with in person? I know my experience with the marriage thing will be very different than the other guys, because we are in love. :D

Come on man, you don't think I have heard the "don't get marry, stay single" thing from a ton of married guys, including some from this site I have met and fished with in person? I know my experience with the marriage thing will be very different than the other guys, because we are in love. :D

:laugh: :laugh:...

Tough question.

All chicks are going to swarm her, so don't go too small, but I personally wouldn't break the bank. If she loves you, then a carat or so should do just fine. Even 3/4's. I'm sure things are much more expensive than when I got engaged a decade ago.

It all depends on your chick I guess. Sad to say but some women only care about how big the rock is. If that's the case, well......you're probably already screwed, lol.

If not, then do her the justice of finding a nice ring, with the best clarity you can in a price range you can swing.

2 months pay? That's too much if you ask me. I could never of made that happen. Couldn't now. Wouldn't.

Go find a nice Jeweler and ask questions. You'll need to visit a few stores. Find a nice local place if you can. Somebody HONEST. They will show you all the cuts and teach you the colors and clarity stuff.

I started with that.I added some solid nebulous info and left you a good wish. It's the Tavern. I'm sorry if I offended you but 'Diamonds Are Us" is probably a good Google search. My marriage really sucked. I am hoping my next one is better to the point I may actually go threw with it. BTW, sorry for messing up you're thread. Good luck. Reillye. :)

Ignore that crap. I love being married. I love my wife for all the ups and downs. It's work, but it's worth the work in my eyes. I would have it no other way. Just remember it won't and can't always be perfect. Respect her and expect the same. ;)

/goes out back to dig a hole.

I started with that.I added some solid nebulous info and left you a good wish. It's the Tavern. I'm sorry if I offended you but 'Diamonds Are Us" is probably a good Google search. My marriage really sucked. I am hoping my next one is better to the point I may actually go threw with it. BTW, sorry for messing up you're thread. Good luck. Reillye. :)

Oh no not offended at all. Sorry your first one sucked and good luck with the possible 2nd one. ;)

Ignore that crap. I love being married. I love my wife for all the ups and downs. It's work, but it's worth the work in my eyes. I would have it no other way. Just remember it won't and can't always be perfect. Respect her and expect the same. ;)

/goes out back to dig a hole.

See Mokes is da man. Another question: her parents are going to visit my house for the first time soon. Should I let them use my bathroom for the purpose of relieving a No. 2?

Oh no not offended at all. Sorry your first one sucked and good luck with the possible 2nd one. ;)

The second one is going to have to buy ME a ring. A Guatemalan Jade deal like the first one ripped off. Or else it's over. God I hope she doen't see this.

On as serious a note as I can get after wading for trout all day: Talk to her. If you guys don't get on the same planet about this at an agreeable point, well who is going to be taking the trash out and painting the shed. A partnership is what you are looking for. I don't know anything much about much but you should be seeking this jewel together, unless you can just lay something on her in which case I have to recuse myself which I may anyway because Otter hasn't jumped in.

See Mokes is da man. Another question: her parents are going to visit my house for the first time soon. Should I let them use my bathroom for the purpose of relieving a No. 2?

Mother yes, Father no.

You have no option here in my opinion. Whether it is them or anyone else, the bathroom should be pristine. Hint: clean it early on the morning they leave. Some of that can set up.