Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greeneflash

Chesapeake area Military looking for fly fishing advice

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I am military recently stationed in DC and looking to start fly fishing striper.  I have fly fished in the past, but never in salt water, and never in the Chesapeake.  I found a reasonably priced 9wt on ebay, with a floating line and an intermediate line.  I have access to a boat in the South River, just south of Annapolis.  I even checked Lefty's book out of the library.  So, I have done my research, but could use some local knowledge.  

What flies do I need in my box start with, and where are some local spots.  I can't get up to the Susquehanna, but I can get out to the Thomas Point area easily.  Any advice to get me started would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I have no local knowledge to offer, just some general advice for stripers.....

6 foot leader straight shot 20-30 lb mono is good enough to get started

Clousers and deceivers in white or chartreuse and white. Size 1 probably a good starting point. Deceivers will be easier to cast.

If you can get a copy of lou tabory's book , you will learn about all you'll ever be able to learn about striper fishing, both fly and regular gear, from a book, Assuming you are a shore bound angler.

I think there is an Orvis in DC and even an urban angler in alexandria. I would swing by one of those shops or any b and t to maybe get some idea where to look for the stripers.

A guy who posts here , or used to post here, is or was employed by Orvis in DC ( or maybe Orvis is in Alexandria too?), hopefully he chimes in.

Sorry I can not be more helpful with more specific info, but when I was in DC I neverdid any local fishing. Looking back that was a mistake.

Keep a log book, location, time of day, weather, bait you observed, tidal stage/times, moon phase, wind direction/speed

Thanks for your service.

Check the military posts in the MD, DC & Va area for fishing clubs.Quite a few of them have border water on the rivers that flow intothe Bay or on the Bay itself.

The Eastern Shore towns on river that flow intothe Bay should have some County or Federal access fishing sites listed on line. Ther is a state park near Crisfiled that is a possibility. Do you kayak? That would open up your Fly Fishing possibilities emensly.

Thanks for your service. I was stationed at Henderson Hall, VA HQMC going thru Embassy School in the mid 50's. Whooee! DC was the Best Liberty Town, ever! Good luck and welcome aboard SOL.

As a newbie there is a requirement to tell a joke. What ever comes to mind. Earthy is fine and gross is not. :D

​Reg,

Thanks.  Based on what I have seen in other posts, I figured clousers and deceivers in white or chartreuse and white might be a good starting point.  Do you have a recommendation on where to find quality flies online?  I am not to the point where I am tying my own yet, and both my local bait and tackle shops looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about flies.  I get the impression nearly everyone here is trolling.  I saw ******************* recommended in another post.  Have you used them?

Also good advice on the log. I will start something, so I can look for trends in what is working.  

RJ, 

I do have a boat, so I can get away from the shore.  Just not sure where to go, the Bay is a big place.  I heard 30-40 ft next to the channel might work, but then I have also heard about some guys fishing next to the rip rap. 

Oh, here's my joke.  (it's a an oldie, but a goodie)

What did the huge trophy striper way when she swam into the concrete wall? .....................  Dam!  biggrin.gif

Thanks.

RJ, 

I do have a boat, so I can get away from the shore.  Just not sure where to go, the Bay is a big place.  I heard 30-40 ft next to the channel might work, but then I have also heard about some guys fishing next to the rip rap. 

GF where are your from originally. Have you fished Saltwater before, My fishing bud and I launched at the Park near Chrisfield, and worked out way out of the Marsh and into the bay (Ches. Bay.).We looked for birds working bait on the surface. We would make a speed run towards the working birds and slow down 100 yards from the bliktz and slip up to the action and when you get there put the engine in Idle and start throwing your fly at it.

Very few of us here on the Fly Fishings Forum troll for fish.

A better way, is to drift for fish with a weighted line. I do it alone the edges of a river channel or out of a harbor with a dropping tide.

Give us an idea of what your saltwater experience is and we will be able to point you in the right direction.

Greeneflash, first thank you for your service! When you get enough posts to send PM's, send me your mailing address. I've got plenty of flies tied up & will be more than happy to send you some to get you started.

The general advise that RegDunlop gave is right on for the bay. Personally, I like flies tied on size 2/0 hooks as the best all around size for the area, but it's not a bad idea to have some variety.

Because there is so much bay, finding fish is the hardest part. Good electronics on a boat will help if you have them. Watching the birds is the next best way to locate them, but not a sure bet, and there will not always be birds around the fish.

Some guys who fly fish will locate fish with other tackle, then switch to the flies. Striped Bass are called Rockfish in MD, and for good reason. They're often found around the rocks, which is primarily rip rap. Find those places where there is some depth near shoreline rip rap, and you can often find fish. However, water temps play a role too. The Rockfish follow the baitfish. No baitfish, no Rockfish. Sometimes they'll be in shallow water too. A few times I've seen them in water so shallow their backs would be exposed. Not something that you'll see a lot, but don't over look an area because it's shallow.

Channels edges are good places too, but depending on the depth can limit how effective a fly rod can be. If you find places that have no more than about a 15 to 20 ft depth along a channel, flies can be good. Beyond that depth it's more difficult to get the fly down fast enough, particularly in current.

Since you have a boat @ South River, give some of the creek mouths a try & even up into the creeks. If you've ever done any bass fishing, think in those terms in the creeks on where to check for fish.

Also the Bay Bridge pilings are not that far to run. The east side of the bridge is usually the better bet for flies. From South River, if the boat you have is large enough & the weather cooperative, you can run across the bay into Eastern Bay, or up into the Severn River, or even up to Kent Narrows. These are all places that can be good at times for fly fishing.

Also Google Earth can be your friend in finding fishing spots, as well as a good depth chart. Most folks won't give you specific spots on a forum, but even when you locate a good spot, that does not mean there will be fish there all the time. The tides can have some affects in where they'll be too.

The fact is you'll likely spend a lot of time out on the bay with no fish to show for it, especially with flies.

RJ,

I am from CT. I grew up on the water, but mostly sailing. All my fishing experience has been out west in the High Sierras. My grandfather was an avid trout fisherman. His favorite spot was up in the mammoth lakes. When he was 85 he could still spend all day in his waders at the edge of the lake. Since I have been on Maryland, I have been trying to get back into fishing. However, I want to keep the challenge of doing it on a fly, and it seems like everyone I run into here just trolls.

Thanks for the advice. I have heard the bird spotting technique before and will definitely try it. I had not heard of drifting with a weighted line. When you're doing that, do you need to strip at all, or just be patient and go with the ebb?

Tidewater,

Thanks for taking the time to give me such a detailed response! I have run up the Severn, but not any farther yet. I have been wanting to get over to the eastern shore but haven't had the time/weather yet. Thomas Point is my go-to spot, because it is so close and easy. Whenever I am out, I wonder if I should try farther out in the bay closer to the shipping channel. That channel edge would be much deeper than the 15-20 ft you are taking about. Have you tried a sinking line out that deep?

... and thanks very much on the offer of the flies, I will take you up on it once I can PM.

GF - you need a couple of books to give your learning curve a boost.

Ct. Author Ed Mitchell's Flyrodding the Estuaries and Flyrodding the Coast are excelent books to being with. the Estuariy one is loaded with must know/how to informantion. sort of a tour for all the places you are going to be looking at along the NE Coast, but applicable to the Nations largest Estuary as well.

Please buy these books from Amazon's used books library. The are actually little used and a lot of once purchased books by book stores and then after nt moving in potatellio or East Tucky Booboo those smaller book shops contract thru amazon to sell them at a discount. the money you will save will morre than pay for the shipping of these books.

I'll do a little research for you and get back with a reading list for you. You might be able to select a lot of reading material thru a local library as well.

Here is a great guide to the entire Chesapeake Bay.

See if they have it on Amazon.

Flyfisher's Guide to™ Chesapeake Bay (USED)

$17.95

Flyfisher’s Guide to™ Chesapeake Bay: Includes Light Tackle

By Ed Russell & Bill May

From the Susquehanna River above Havre De Grace in Maryland to Virginia's Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, veteran anglers and outdoor writers Ed Russell and Bill May cover all of the great fishing opportunities on Chesapeake Bay. They cover the entire Susquehanna River and flats, the Upper Bay—both the eastern and western shores and the islands. Chesapeake Bay is a fisherman's hot spot for American shad, striped bass, bluefish, sea trout, speckled trout, Atlantic croaker, largemouth bass, redfish, black drum, flounder, cobia, and perch. The Flyfisher's Guide to Chesapeake Bay covers each species along with tactics, flies and lures, and the peak seasons. There are over 60 detailed maps and charts that feature boat ramps, access points, and marinas. There is also a listing of fishing guides, sporting goods stores and fly shops, motels, boat rentals, and complete travel information.

Fishing great, Lefty Kreh, writes in the forward: "This is a book that long needed to be written. Flyfishermen have been enjoying their sport in the Chesapeake Bay for decades. Yet, until now, no one has given it a comprehensive treatment. Ed and Bill have put it together. A book that is well organized and packed with invaluable information for anyone who enjoys fly or light tackle fishing in the Chesapeake Bay." Flyfisher’s Guide to Chesapeake Bay has received rave reviews.

Author Description

Ed Russell is a lifelong resident of Maryland. He is a full time freelance writer on flyfishing and he spends a great part of each year fishing Chesapeake Bay. Bill May is an outdoor columnist with the Carroll County Times in Westminster, Maryland. He spends a number of days each year fishing his home water, the Chesapeake Bay.

Softback, Lay-flat binding, 6 x 9, 500+ pages, B&W photos, Over 90 maps

Book is in good condition; minor aesthetic damage.

I picked this off www.wildadv.com and you can order it direct. This is the used edition nad the great price. It has over 90 maps.

I put all that swift, silent, deadly Marine Recon training on this intel gathering mission I absorbed in the 1950's to work and this will be an amazing tool for you to plan your amphibious operations of all the important locations in you current AO. :D

GF- if you get back to CT and wanna fish, feel free to look me up. (sounds like we do a lot of the same kinda fishing- ) I'm always looking for a fishing partner too

and again- thanks for your service!

GF, I'll second the advise about books that RJ has posted, and add another called "Chesapeake Light Tackle" by Shawn Kimbro. Shawn's book is not fly fishing specific, but gives some great information about finding fish. Shawn has a very good website too with much information about fishing the bay. A Google search should bring it up, and it's the same name as his book.

Whenever I am out, I wonder if I should try farther out in the bay closer to the shipping channel. That channel edge would be much deeper than the 15-20 ft you are taking about. Have you tried a sinking line out that deep?

You can certainly catch Stripers near the shipping channels, but most of the time other tackle is far more productive than flies. I've fished as deep as 30 ft with a fast sinking line, but IMO, and experience (47 years of it) beyond 30 ft is difficult with a fly line. It can be done, but is a slow way to fish, and not the best way. 20 ft is about as deep as I'll usually go, and frankly prefer much shallower waters with flies.