Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achez

Americans Are Migrating To More Free Republican States Investors BusinessDaily

Rate this topic

471 posts in this topic

Americans are migrating from less-free liberal states to more-free conservative states, where they are doing better economically, according to a new study published Thursday by George Mason University's Mercatus Center.

The "Freedom in the 50 States" study measured economic and personal freedom using a wide range of criteria, including tax rates, government spending and debt, regulatory burdens, and state laws covering land use, union organizing, gun control, education choice and more.

It found that the freest states tended to be conservative "red" states, while the least free were liberal "blue" states.

The freest state overall, the researchers concluded, was North Dakota, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma. The least free state by far was New York, followed by California, New Jersey, Hawaii and Rhode Island.

The study also compared its measures of economic and personal freedom to population shifts and income growth, and found that freer states tend to do better on both scores than those less free.

For example, it found a strong correlation between a state's freedom ranking and migration, which means that Americans are gravitating toward states that have less-intrusive governments.

Escape From New York, L.A.

New York, for example, saw a net migration of -9.2% between 2000 and 2011, and California's was -4.2%. In contrast, Tennessee gained 4.4%, and Oklahoma gained 1.3%.

An IBD analysis of the data found that "red" states — those voting for Republican presidential candidates in the past two elections — saw an overall net migration of 2.2%, while "blue" states saw an overall average net migration of -0.3%.

"People are voting for places with greater freedom," said William Ruger, a political scientist at Texas State University and one of the co-authors of the study. That was true, he said, even after controlling for things like weather and amenities that might attract people to states independent of these freedom measures.

The study also found that states with more freedom tended to see stronger income growth. This was particularly true in states with more regulatory freedom.

"Adam Smith was right," Ruger said. "If you have economic freedom, you will have economic growth."

IBD has previously reported that red states saw stronger job growth, lower unemployment and bigger gains in per capita income than blue states during the economic recovery. For example, IBD found that in the first three years of the recovery, red states saw 1.9% job growth compared with 1.2% for blue states.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/032813-649561-americans-leaving-blue-calif-ny-for-freer-red-states.aspx#ixzz2P4IayNla

Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Great deal if you can afford to move and find a job when you get there.

Yup. I feel trapped in this craphole of a commie state. The Midwest sucks though. I would rather live here, lol.

Yeah, Midwest absolutely sucks. I wouldn't mind moving to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Louisiana, Florida or Texas. Austin and Houston are booming. North Carolina is an attractive option too.

I'm a North Jersey boy born and bred. It's all I know and I'm fine with some negative aspects because there are so many good reasons to live here. As much as I hate paying so much taxes and dealing with the high cost of living plus the multiple bureaucratic layers and corruption, I'm used to it. Our daughters also were born and grew up here. They have just started their careers and are looking for homes here or in NYC so they obviously like it here too.

But when I retire in ten years I want to move somewhere warm year round with good fishing. :).

All my grandkids here in Ct so I'm not going anywhere but this place really sux. No matter how they hurt America, the inner cities here keep the Dems in power. As long as the free stuff keeps flowing, the Dems will infest this place. Besides their destructive economic policies, now there's a new nitwit in town. Gov Malloy is pushing new gun control measures and said he doesn't care if the gun manufacturers move out of Ct. Ct was already going down the tubes but I guess it wasn't fast enough for the him..   

Can't figure out why the list would be humorous. Low taxes. Little government interference. Ability to find gainful employment. And a guy from Jersey is laughing?

NC is an ok place to live. For now. But the pressure is on.

People move here because it is free-er and economically more sound... they flee high tax states and oppression by the likes of Nanny Bloomberg...

and then settle in and vote to do it all here.

Makes no dang sense. Frustrating as all get out.

Its like they subconsciously know the truth (they move here, after all), but consciously see no connection between how they vote and what a steaming pile their voting made the place they left.

Feh.

Can't figure out why the list would be humorous. Low taxes. Little government interference. Ability to find gainful employment. And a guy from Jersey is laughing?

I've driven through most of those states and New Jersey Monmouth County has more to offer than all of them combined.

Vinny, this could be you.

Cant pry the old ball and chain away from the grandkids, and saltwater runs in my veins. I've spent all of the part of my life that matters on or within a mile or two of the sea.The mountain country in Tennesee, North Carolina seemed nice ,but it sure didnt look all that properous. Seemed to be an awful lot of nothing but corn driving across the mid west, and Cali? No thanks, frying pan to the fire. I'm thinking once the grandkids get to be wise ass teens I might be able to pry the old lady into a move to Texas, although by then we will be old enough to be admitted in to Florida.