Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
angryseahorse

Florida Summer Trip

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

I will be in Florida for the last week of May for a summer trip with a few of my friends. I have never fished in the state before, but I am an avid fisherman from Long Island. I will be on the east coast on Hutchinson Island in Jensen Beach for the majority of the trip, and I was wondering what kind of fish I should expect to encounter and what kind of gear I should bring with me. Right now, I am planning on bringing my 9 foot Lami GSB 109 1l, but I am not sure if that can handle the surf.

Let me know,

Thanks.

It can handle the surf alright. Gather some sandfleas to catch some pompano. You'll catch em along the shore and in oyster and grass beds. You'll catch some grunts and snappers if you fish from a dock/sea wall

In the summer, snook come practically onto the beach. In sandy areas with mangroves you'll be sure the catch one. Cast plugs into the mangroves. White seems to work well. In other areas, a live mullet hooked in the back is a favorite.

In the summer, snook come practically onto the beach.

This is no joke - in fact, one of the preferred methods (if fishing along a beach in the summertime) is to wade into the water and cast your lure/fly back towards the beach

Yea the closer you are to an inlet on the beach the more snook you will see during summer. They stack up in the inlets to breed and patrol the beach in packs.

Snook are cruising the beaches now! They are tough however. Your shadow will spook them so stay back or get in the water and cast back along the shore. 15lb braid will scare them off if they are lined, I use mono line in real clear water to reduce the visibility. I use braid in the mangroves with floro leader. Great fish to hunt.

I just found this thread. I'll be on Noth Hutchinson Is. During the second week of July. I'll be staying steps from the beach. Should there be snook around in the surf at that time of summer? I'm bringing a spinning rod and a fly rod. I really don't know much the fishing in that area.

Don't mean to hijack the thread this just seemed like a good thread to pose the question.

That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to it. Do I need to be around an inlet or is the beachfront ok? I know that things change from day to day but I've never fished there before. Just trying to get a general feel for what's going on in July.

That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to it. Do I need to be around an inlet or is the beachfront ok? I know that things change from day to day but I've never fished there before. Just trying to get a general feel for what's going on in July.

Inlets are great, but snook will also be lining up and down the beach...the biggest thing to remember is to get out there as early as you can to where you can still see/spot the fish...there will be a certain point in the morning where you'll still see the fish, but they'll start to develop lock jaw, almost like clock work every morning.