Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8fishermen

Fish on custom rod

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Got out today to try out the rods we have been working on. We were throwing 1/2 oz jig heads with flukes or trailers. This was the first time we have really been able to use these rods for stripes. Even though these rods were built to throw 1.5-2oz lures they preformed great. We were using MHX 8' swim bait blanks rated 1-2 oz. Most fish were 4 lbs or less. We caught about 30 fish and all were released. This is one Noah caught while drifting a fluke. 14 lbs 1 oz. Even in the heavy current the rod performed great. 

I took these rods out this afternoon for some field casting. These rods have Microwave guides on them. One has the 20mm stripper and the other has a 30mm stripper. The one with the 20mm was using 15 lb pp slick 8 on a 3000 size reel and was casting between 288' and 299' on the football field with a 1.5 oz lead spoon. The other with the 30 mm stripper was using a 4000 size reel with 14 lb fireline and was casting between 85 and 89 yards. The running guides on this rod are too big. They are size 8 sv along with the heavier line so that would explain the difference in distance. I will order some smaller runners but will probably stick with some sort of double foot guide for the runners on this rod as dear son is a little rough on the equipment. 

I am surprised once again at the distance I am getting from this 8' rod and it fishes great. 

I have been really curious about those guides. Are you guys getting line slap at all? Do you think they would be any good using a larger braid? Any input you have would be great.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8fishermen View Post

I took these rods out this afternoon for some field casting. These rods have Microwave guides on them. One has the 20mm stripper and the other has a 30mm stripper. The one with the 20mm was using 15 lb pp slick 8 on a 3000 size reel and was casting between 288' and 299' on the football field with a 1.5 oz lead spoon. The other with the 30 mm stripper was using a 4000 size reel with 14 lb fireline and was casting between 85 and 89 yards. The running guides on this rod are too big. They are size 8 sv along with the heavier line so that would explain the difference in distance. I will order some smaller runners but will probably stick with some sort of double foot guide for the runners on this rod as dear son is a little rough on the equipment. 

I am surprised once again at the distance I am getting from this 8' rod and it fishes great. 

8fisherman        I also built a rod using Microwave guides.I could not beleive the distance increase from a 8' blank.My question is where did you find a 30mm microwave stripper guide.Your boy really looks happy tell him to keep up the the good work. 

Greg, nice pic!! GLad to see that you are happy with the MW guides, and that they worked out so well. If anyone else wants a set give me a shout, as I keep them in stock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joep131 View Post

I have been really curious about those guides. Are you guys getting line slap at all? Do you think they would be any good using a larger braid? Any input you have would be great.

Thanks

The only line slap I have experienced has been from one reel. But in fairness to the guides I can't find a combo of guides that this reel doesn't produce some line slap. It has a 2.25" reel face and has a short up sweep frame so it just produces line slap. No line slap with any other combo I have tried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

8fisherman        I also built a rod using Microwave guides.I could not beleive the distance increase from a 8' blank.My question is where did you find a 30mm microwave stripper guide.Your boy really looks happy tell him to keep up the the good work. 

I think the only place that has them is Swampland. It came with the 30/8 mm microwave guide and one 8 mm reduction guide both of which are single foot. I replaced the 8 mm single foot with a double foot 8 mm MNV Fuji for a little added strength as someone warned me it took a lot of stress. This is my 10 yr old's rod so it will be taking a lot of extra abuse in general and the guides on his rods need all the help they can get. The 8 mm MNV is a nice fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy 40 View Post

Greg, nice pic!! GLad to see that you are happy with the MW guides, and that they worked out so well. If anyone else wants a set give me a shout, as I keep them in stock,

Billy,

The kit of micro guides I got form you is my favorite for this 8 foot rod. I never could get either set to work exactly like I wanted (most likely operator error LOL) on the longer rods but on the 8' rod it preforms great.  I followed the 7'6 layout which describes a much shorter handle that I used. I set my reel seat at 17" (Blank weight + lure weight + rod length in inches / 6 = reel seat in inches) which makes the rod length above the reel seat very close to what a 7'6" rod would have been. This is a composite blank and just came alive with these guides. It is as quite as a mouse and is very accurate to cast even at long distance. It is a sweet setup. Thanks for recommending it.

I think on a longer rod you would be able to move the stripper guide further out. I know I tried playing with that on short rods, but didn't have the blank space to move it too far. If you tinker enough, eventually you'll either find a spot that works, or that it just won't work - at least you tried.

TEH guy who designed the Microwave guides passed away this weekend - Bass Professor Doug Hannon