Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grizzlyff

Mid April Captiva wade Fishing spots

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I will be in a condo for a week in mid april on the gulf shore of Captiva (South Seas) and wondered if anyone had any good locations for wade fishing (fly) near there especially for reds, just in case the beach near where we are staying is not productive.   Two years ago (in May), I did real well with trout just off the gulf beach about mid island on Sanibel, so that is one spot I will try for sure as it is only 15 minutes or so, but wondered if there are any other spots anyone might recommend (shore fishing, I won't have a boat), particulary where I would have a better chance with reds.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I have done well at blind pass but I am usually there a little later.( late may, june)

still might b worth the ride. Good luck. Love that area.

Grizz, have you ever been to South Seas ? Pretty much, find water, cast your line, catch fish. You have the passes to the North (Redfish) and south (Blind). You have the entire beach of South Seas (thats a few miles) to wade. Just watch out for the sharks !

I don't know about fly fishing as much, but we killed it last year at the T dock which is located on the opposite side of the gulf at South Seas. Great snook fishing there at night with live shrimp. My avatar picture can serve as evidence.

I don't know about fly fishing as much, but we killed it last year at the T dock which is located on the opposite side of the gulf at South Seas. Great snook fishing there at night with live shrimp. My avatar picture can serve as evidence.

Yeah, but those T-dock snook are very educated, and harassed. We where hand feeding them shrimp. They had lock jaw at the beginning of my trip, got one to hit a Gulp Mullet, was a tough fight trying to keep him out from under the dock, ended up loosing him as I tried to walk him to the beach to land. When I was there, the T-dock was surrounded by tons and tons and tons of bait (immature white bait). The spanish mackeral would slash through, and th schools of snook would stage "organized baitfish raids" from under the dock. Very cool.

Yes they are educated but can be caught. You need light mono line (12lb) and a heavy fluorocarbon leader (50-75 lb) with a #2 regular shank hook with a single split shot sinker. LIVE SHRIMP from Jensen's bait shop. They'll hook you up right too. Get it as far under the dock as possible let it sit on bottom or a foot or so off the bottom....and hold on. But when they hit you've GOT to keep them away from the pilings. That means keeping your drag set properly. Last fall, we caught big snook, reds, trout, grouper, and sharks out there, and we were visited by the occasional Goliath grouper which surfaced right near the pilings.

When it got slow, I would lay on my stomach and hold my rod under the dock reaching as far as I could to keep the bait at the bottom under the middle of the dock. The bites came much more frequently when I did this. We killed it that week. Sure would love to go back!

Last time I was there, there was an actual Pass at Blind Pass (is it open again now?). On the inside letting the tide take a brown/orange shrimp fly under the mangroves got me a lot of nice snook. Also using a clouser under the docks at what then was Castaways (via canoe)... Hope to be back there later in the month, can't wait...have fun!