Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emerger

Colton Torrent vs. CRG II

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Seems that Colton reels are well received on this forum, especially the Torrent. I am trying to establish the right setup for my GL3 10 wt. rod.  While the Torrent may be built like a tank, I am concerned about swing weight and maintenance.  The 911 for example is 10.7 oz. while the CRG II is 7.1 oz. Not likely I'll hitting up any pelagics with this rig, but I do plan on using it in the salt from pangas and the beach in Mexico soon. I saw the youtube of a marlin on a CRG II, so I am not all that concerned about the reel being akin to a knife in gun fight. Comments? 

love my G2 reels.... been using/abusing them for several years in typical northeast conditions, targeting bass/bluefish/albies etc. I'm with you that the weight difference is certainly noticeable (on paper and when just inspecting the reel) but also don't notice the weight of the Torrent when actually fishing with them.... and as you might expect, the Torrent is CONSIDERABLY bigger and beefier in every aspect. I'd give a call to Bob and talk it over with him..... he's agood guy to shoot the breeze with and will steer you in the right direction.

Look at the specs more carefully. The 789 Torrent has the same specs as the 810 GII. I built the 789 last in the series. The 911 has capacities much great than most other reels. It's better suited for 11 weight setups. I personally use the 789 for stripers, blues, albies, jacks, reds, dorado, etc and fish it on the 10 weight mostly. I would not be concerned throwing it a 100lb tarpon either.

Far to many guys buy the 911 that should have bought the 789. Adding a blog to the site soon that should help with choosing the right equipment and other questions.

I was thinking about a 911, i talked to Bob, and a 789 is plenty for what i use it for. I have 250 yards of gel spun and rio outbound short on mine, and with the drag and size of the reel, i wouldnt think twice about throwing to decent size tarpon. I fish this reel on two very light rods, and havnt noticed the additional weight being detrimental.

Just use gel spun or 20lb Dacron for backing. I use 20lb backing personally. Never saw the need for 30lb being that all I ever fish on spinning gear is 14lb and never have had a breaking issue with stripers to 50lbs and uncountable numbers of albies. Also depends on if you are talking over lining with a full sink or a floating line. Full sink takes up very little space on the spool. Floating will take up more.

All that being said I never understood the weight of a reel being an issue. Since the weight of the reel is below the grip area it really just creates a better pivot point IMO. Most of the better built reels are gonna weight more.

Look at the specs more carefully. The 789 Torrent has the same specs as the 810 GII. I built the 789 last in the series. The 911 has capacities much great than most other reels. It's better suited for 11 weight setups. I personally use the 789 for stripers, blues, albies, jacks, reds, dorado, etc and fish it on the 10 weight mostly. I would not be concerned throwing it a 100lb tarpon either.

Far to many guys buy the 911 that should have bought the 789. Adding a blog to the site soon that should help with choosing the right equipment and other questions.

Interesting Bob! I was considering setting up one of my spare spools on my Torrent 789 as a 10weight. Its funny when I put the 789 next to my Tioga 8 wt and it just dwarfs it!