Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ironfish

First birch / wood grip

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So the rod is not done but I just finished sanding the grip and was thrilled with the results and wanted to share . Birch bark , holly , ebony and stabilized box elder burl and cork burl on a Lami BT963.

Bombarded poor looneytunes (who s birch grips I'm trying to emulate :) ) with a hundred questions as well as MikeG. I will post some better pics when the rods complete as I don't think these come close to doing it justice . Ralph

Man.. Great Job ! I think you've got it down pretty well. :clap:

Thanks John

That looks so easy to do, how long did it take, 40 minutes? REally nice job, but you suck as a picturetaker. Good luck getting the rest of teh rod completed.

Good guess 38.72 minutes . I do suck at taking rod pics .Sounds like a good topic for a Nerbs gathering

Ralph,

What glue use do you use on the birch bark rings and how do you prep them? Do you use the same glue on the whole grip? Mine break apart when I do the final reaming for size and taper.

Don

looks great, very nice design

just wondering what kind of weight that adds to the butt section?

Thanks . The birch itself is very light its the ebony and stabilized burl that has some weight to it . On the next 1 I will prob use smaller pcs of burl and thinner ebony . But I was told you could also oversize the ID of the stab. burl and put it on some arbors to save a little weight as well.

Ralph,

What glue use do you use on the birch bark rings and how do you prep them? Do you use the same glue on the whole grip? Mine break apart when I do the final reaming for size and taper.

Don

Don I used tite bond III to glue up short stacks of birch about 1 " ea.. I glued some of them to the cork burl and holly . Ream everything separate and # . Then glue them on the rod with rod bond and clamp with a jig. Theres some good info on RBO or do like me and spend hours harassing looneytunes aka the birchmeister.

Very nice Ralph :th: I think you've been bitten by the bug. Is this pic without any kind of finish? I can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks Steve . Yeah I 've been eyeballing those crazy dyed burls on that site you gave me . No no finish but what a difference in that staburl when you fine sand it .Starts to pop.

Thanks Steve . Yeah I 've been eyeballing those crazy dyed burls on that site you gave me . No no finish but what a difference in that staburl when you fine sand it .Starts to pop.

Wait until you put some finish on it, it will really pop big time.

Wait until you put some finish on it, it will really pop big time.

Yeah was going to ask you to refresh my memory on which finish. Tung oil .true oil or that gel one thats discontinued :huh:

If you can find 100% tung oil I have used that with good results. I really liked the Petri gel polyurethane but it is no longer made. There is most likely something similar on the market but I have not tried to find any yet. I have never used tru-oil but some people swear by it.

Thanks Steve I think I might try that true oil . There's a few youtube vids showing the application and it seems pretty easy with great results . But being a little OCD I 'll check out some more options then probably call or email 2 or 3 more times when I get to that point :)