Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

Car wheel and tire question......got a remedy?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Finally I am removing my 4 snows on rims from my saab, nce off I put my summer tires on separate rims on..... Nice day out, seems easy enough.

Front passenger right I get all the lug nuts off and wheel will not come off, I've kicked it a few times in an attempt to break it free, anyone have a remedy of getting it to come off?

Thanks

Just get a new car...

Get a new I-phone and a new OS for your computer too...

We live in a throw away society...don't be such a dinosaur.

The car was driven a few minutes before this "little " task, how do you suggest generating some hear on the hub?

Propane soldering torch. Don't hit the hub itself with the flame, just around the perimeter of the hub. A bit of penetrating oil in that area before the heat will also help. As soon as you move the flame away, give the area a couple taps with a hammer (not too, too hard, you don't want to bend the metal there.)

Then spray it with some water to quickly cool it down. The expansion and contraction should help break it free.

Actually I just got her off, thanks for the advice, " got er done" with an Eric the car guy you tube video for this exact problem

Carry on Garth!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphish View Post

Actually I just got her off, thanks for the advice, " got er done" with an Eric the car guy you tube video for this exact problem

Carry on Garth!

What was Eric's advice?

What was Eric's advice?

Put one lug nut on very loose, get arms under the car with a pretty big persuader ( hammer, sledge) hit the tire, not the rim, several times in the same spot opposite of the lug nut which is at 12:00. to ensure you don't hit the rim swing the hammer as its sliding along the ground.

In away the you tube video was kind of funny, but effective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lichum View Post

"Seek the wisdom and experience of SOL tavernites."

LOL...biggrin.gif...LOL

If I ever have any serious problems, the Tavern is my go to place for heartfelt advice.freak.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphish View Post

Put one lug nut on very loose, get arms under the car with a pretty big persuader ( hammer, sledge) hit the tire, not the rim, several times in the same spot opposite of the lug nut which is at 12:00. to ensure you don't hit the rim swing the hammer as its sliding along the ground.

In away the you tube video was kind of funny, but effective.

Never pass up a chance to use a sledge.

I have been told on a drive axle you can leave the lugs on loosely,get the wheel spinning and apply the brakes,I have never tried it though.

It is a good idea to have any moving wheels off the ground.