Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyDee

Question about basswood

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I was given a 2x2x12 length of basswood to turn something with. I have no idea what to make out of it. Trditionally, what type of plugs are made out of this stuff? Any ideas?

Thanks

Basswood is a favorite of musky lure builders.  Any glider or Jerk baits would be good.  For many years the Classic Bait mkers like Heddon and Creek Chub used white cedar.  Over time white cedar without knots in the wood became more scarce. So basswood is the new standard. 2 x 2 x 12 would make a big lure. Im a Musky guy because I live in Northern Michigan and I use lots of 10-12 inch baits in the summer.

Any top water plug or surface swimming plug. I love using it although consider sealing with epoxy as a standard dip in spar urethane or val oil still leaves you with the chance of adhesion problems.

I spun spookasaurus tonight modeled after an agitator. This plug is HUGE ! Did one for fuzzy trout in AYC after he saw how it was coming out. I had to leave early so i left him to handle the drilling. Will post pics when it's finished. About 10" long and will have 2 belly hooks and a rear siwash. Can't wait to test swim it !

I spun spookasaurus tonight modeled after an agitator. This plug is HUGE ! Did one for fuzzy trout in AYC after he saw how it was coming out. I had to leave early so i left him to handle the drilling. Will post pics when it's finished. About 10" long and will have 2 belly hooks and a rear siwash. Can't wait to test swim it !

Nice! :th: cant wait to see that