Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dont

best oil to lubricate fly reels

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I use Neatsfoot oil on cork...not sure if that's what you're referring to

Yep. Also try pure neatsfoot (no added pertro blends) mixed with a bit of graphite powder for cork drags.

Pure neatsfoot oil is also used to preserve leather.

For gears and moving parts I use Penn lub or a number of gun oils/lubs that are available.

I had been using neatsfoot oil on cork disc drags for years and I just recently send some clutch discs to Islander to have the original cork replaced. They were several years old yet still functioning but were getting a little thin. Had a good discussion with them about cork maintenance and although they admit that neatsfoot oil is OK they prefer and recommend a product with a teflon base called Super Lube with PTFE so I picked up a small tube of grease and an other one of oil .

fair amount of interest here.

I was in town and picked up some Abu Garcia silicote Reel Oil. Probably designed for spinning reels, Anybody have experience with this product. Seems to be very light, clear, low viscosity. About the right stuff. I am familiar with neatsfoot - used for baseball gloves for ever. This stuff is lighter and clearer?

I am mostly thinking of lubricating shafts and gears ... not the drag itself.

I like to use a product called "Corrosion X". At my local tackle shop they sell it for all the gear fishing guys. I think it works great on fly gear as well. Why not. The product is meant to inhibit corrosion on electrical connections. what is great is that it is also a lubricant so it works well to keep the gears moving.

Good luck...

Adam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ham View Post

Super Lube... I like to know exactly where and how (technical data sheet, if available) is made the stuff.1000

I'm sure your question can be answered with a simple phone call !

Wasn't any question in my post...

I tried to say ... I prefer to know more about the company who make that lubricant....name...address..technical explanation...It's mean to be the real deal and not some obscure overseas product , wich was bought with 50 cent/ gallon and sold for 10 $ / .25 fl Oz...:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ham View Post

Wasn't any question in my post...

I tried to say ... I prefer to know more about the company who make that lubricant....name...address..technical explanation...It's mean to be the real deal and not some obscure overseas product , wich was bought with 50 cent/ gallon and sold for 10 $ / .25 fl Oz...biggrin.gif

You post a picture of the warning label with the company NAME and ADDRESS right on it and you say you "prefer to know the company ......... name ...... address" ? You sure you haven't inhaled too much of that stuff ?

Oh my gosh sidelock....It's that hard ?

Instead of Quantum Hot Sauce...Call's grease...Rocket Fuel ...Liquid bearing...Magic Bull s...t ....and other "great names" I like more to buy : Mobil ,Castrol,, Loctite, DuPont,Dow Corning ,Super Lube (wich is DuPont division)...Everybody knows those names...adreses...and the fact that they produce those stuffs from many many years...If the oil or grease are crap , you can go there, knock the door and slap the president..:beatin:..like that... That`s way picture with Super Lube....Bohemia NY...Made in USA....yupiiiiieee...

I hope you got it now...:wave: