Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dont

advice on deep trolling (50' - 100') in fresh water for Lake Trout

7 posts in this topic

I'm just getting started in pursuit of Lake Trout in deep water. Looking for advice either for leadcore setups, heavily weighted braid or downriggers to get me to the fish. Prefer downriggers as a last option to keep gear to a minimum.

Never used leadcore. Can I use a fly reel? I don't have any other level wind reels.

Thanks for your pointers.

Hi Dont,

The cheapest set up that will do this is to get a line counter reel (you can buy one at C's for less than $60). Put your favorite line in your favorite weight (I like 20Lb braid) on the reel. Tie on a three way swivel. Put a 4oz. weight on the down pointing loop. Make the line to the weight light (4 or 6Lb) and a foot long. on the right angle loop tie on your leader (I use 8Lb), use two to four feet and sew a smelt or shiner on the end. Get your boat to the right spot and instead of trolling try drift fishing. If there is no or minimal wind your line will go straight down and the line counter will tell you the depth. I've caught a lot of Togue on Sebago this way.

Enjoy.

Dale

i fish lake erie in the spring in 100' of water effectively with magnum dipsy divers. i believe davis fish seekers also dive 90'.we troll 250' back  with 50lb power pro, and attach 5' of 20lb flouro to the lure of choice.i use alot of okuma line counters, but any will do. alot guys love the riggers, but i dont. the noise annoys me like listening to my old lady  complain about how many fishing poles i have, and how few wedding rings she has. they catch fish period, but if you want to stay away from em, then dipsies, and other diving planes are about your  only choice. if you dont know how much line you have out then your never going to know where you are in the water column.ugly stik came out with a cheap rod with a linecounter as the first eye , i bought one, just havent tested it yet.

A couple of line companies (Tuf-line and Sufix) have now come out with braid which is length graduated - in 10' increments I think. Ever try one of them?