Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Product of China salmon. Review.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Well, despite the fact that it sounded really dubious to me, I bought a package of the Product of China salmon and we tried some of it for dinner last night.

This says it all. :upck: :upck: :upck:

Without a doubt, the worst fish product, fresh, frozen or otherwise we've ever tried. For starters, it was some inferior species and or grade of salmon. I think it was the type and grade the mushers in Alaska feed to their sled dogs. Thawed it overnight in the refrig, and was suspicious from the outset as it gave off copious amounts of liquid. Clearly it had been soaked or brined in something prior to freezing. After it was thawed, it had an odd, pastey appearance.

Grilled it off over charcoal and it continued to give off liquid. Tried cooking to medium rare. But as soon as my wife and I tried our first forkful, it was the fishiest piece of fish ever. It ended right there.

The last couple pieces will get poached and fed to the dog. He eats cat crap, so he might enjoy this.

Thank-you very much for the review..........

Products like this is why I try to source as much of my food as possible, even if the additional cost seems prohibitive .....

Thanks again....... 

I looked at the frozen packages last week and passed on it. It had the look of Chum Salmon (Sometimes sold as Silverbrite). Sounds like I was right about that.

I had Sockeye from Russia 2 days ago. Big Y had it. "Wild Caught", which is a joke term anyways. Not bad. Not great, but I would eat it again. Honestly, unless you catch the fish yourself, getting anything "fresh" seems impossible unless you are willing to pay big money.

We're very lucky out here in Happy Valley, we have Foster's Mkt. in Greenfield . They have some of the best fish in Western Mass.. Their truck hits the market a couple three times a week. When we need a bunch of lobsters and steamers we hit Old Time Seafood in Uptown Athol.. Cheapest around here when bulk buying. The restaurant there is great also. Happy Easter to all...