Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Favorite trout set ups, methods & techniques?

37 posts in this topic

I knocked the rust & dust off of my trout fishing chops yesterday at the Tulpehocken. I am on spring break this week and Trout season opens here in south eastern PA today. Although you couldn't pay me to fight the crowds this weekend, I'll be at it this week.

I have two favorite methods for trout. First when they are more aggressive, I have a 5' fast action UL rod that I like to toss spinners w/. I use a combination of Mepps, Rooster tails and Panther Martins depending on conditions, current and clarity (also forage). I toss across & slight up stream. I also have a 6 1/2 ' slower action I use to drift trout magnets. The technique is much like fishing nymphs of a fly rod. It often works better than spinners when they are more sluggish, picky or simply focused in on insects. Finally when they are fresh stocked its hard to beat Berkley Trout Bait when they are looking for pellets. After they've been in the stream for a bit and if they're getting beat up by weekend warriors, sometimes live bait is the hottest ticket in town. Minnows, wax or butter worms are good. Depending on the conditions Meal worms or good ole' red worms con also be top producers. I must say I do notice a big difference in using different lines. I have loved 2lb test for years for trout. Especially when they are spooky, getting beat up, & when the water is clear. Sometimes a floro tippet tied on the end improves catch rate. The light line also makes a more natural presentation of small light offerings.

What do you guys like to use & what are your preferred techniques?

Tight lines & Happy Easter!

JD

I have been trout fishing pretty heavily this past year and I have narrowed what I carry tremendously.  Trout season is year round in VA.  I only carry jig heads and three types of bait.  Jigs heads are 1/64 with #6 and #4 hooks and 1/32 with #6 and #4 .  The "bait" I use is gulps alive minnows in 1" and 2 1/2", and powerbait trout worms in pink.  I am going to try some gulp alive crickets when the weather warms. depending on the current in the stream I will choose jig. fast = 1/32 slow = 1/64.  I have found in streams that have native trout the minnows work best, and if I catch any browns i will go up to the bigger minnows.  For stocked trout, Sometimes they will hit the minnows, but I have found they like the pink worm better.  Just yesterday i was on a PNT stream and was watching a man and his son fishing my favorite hole with powerbait dough, they caught nothing, i stepped in with a pink worm on a jighead and caught two within minutes.  For brookies, wild rainbow, and brown the minnows are the only thing I throw.  As far as line goes I really like 6lb sufix 832 with a floro leader about three feet long, I carry 2 lb and 4 lb lead and adjust accordingly.  I did just get a new rod and I must say if anyone is looking for a new UL rod this is the ticket, Fenwick river runner.  I got the 6'8" version and it is great.  

I catch nearly all my trout on a Rapala CD1 or CD3. They have gotten expensive lately so I have been trying other methods. I use a 6ft. St.Croix panfish rod paired to a Stradic 1000. 4lb Sufis elite.

This winter was cold and cloudy alot ,i fished alone or with just one other guy mostly. He fly fishes only and jan tru march he caught some on small flys and working them slow . I had a good supply of big fat white wood grubs that lasted till the end of feb, they caught fish alot . I also caught on a 1/32 white jighead with a orange powerworm reeling slow and twitching  . And when it's cold and windy i just throw worms so i can keep hands warm . Swimming minnows and rainbow gurbs produced fish for me as well on early stocked fish .  The whole month of march yellow perch almost every time out  on mega mealworms , They are tasty, for trout my whole life i fish 4# stren floro

Thanks for all of the great responses.

I also have a question for Rob4vt. Do you fish those worms & or minnows similar to the presenation of trout magnets (i.e. drift just off of the bottom) under a strike indicator/float and a shot if needed?

Also thanks for the tip on the Fenwick. I am currently using a BassPro Fish Eagle 2 & while it works, it lack a bit in some areas for my purposes.

Also a question for Airsickness, how do you work those Rapals for trout? Do you fish in streams? I've never tried crankbaits for trout but have considered trying them for larger rivers and lakes that contain trout.

Thanks!

JD

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKnot View Post

This winter was cold and cloudy alot ,i fished alone or with just one other guy mostly. He fly fishes only and jan tru march he caught some on small flys and working them slow . I had a good supply of big fat white wood grubs that lasted till the end of feb, they caught fish alot . I also caught on a 1/32 white jighead with a orange powerworm reeling slow and twitching  . And when it's cold and windy i just throw worms so i can keep hands warm . Swimming minnows and rainbow gurbs produced fish for me as well on early stocked fish .  The whole month of march yellow perch almost every time out  on mega mealworms , They are tasty, for trout my whole life i fish 4# stren floro

<br />

Awesome water clarity! Great pic!

I’m an ultra light advocate when it comes to trout. My setup consists of a 4’ 6” rod with 500 size reel. 4 lb test. I usually toss 1/12 to 1/8 oz kastmasters for lures. I’ll even toss 1” soft curly tail grubs on 1/16oz jig head. When I bait fish, I use inflated night crawlers or Power bait, that’s it. I mainly fish lakes, out here they stock the major lakes sometimes twice a week and it is not uncommon to catch 4lb+ Rainbows. Here are a few pictures of my gear. 10001000

I thread them on up to the jig head, and as far as the presentation I generally throw upstream and let it drift down jigging it to keep it from sticking in the rocks.  With the 1/64 head a lot of time the current will keep it of the bottom for me