Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Favorite trout recipes?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Okay now the trout season is upon us in some places (e.g., PA), I had to ask. What are your favorite fresh water trout recipes? Do you prefer to bake, grill or fry? Plank or smoke? Do you marinate? Do you bread, crust or stuff them? What seasonings do you like on your trout?

Looking forward to reading how you prepare them!

I am on spring break this week and trout season opens today. Although you couldn't pay me to fight the crowds this weekend, I'll be at it this week. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have enough to have friends over for a trout dinner!

Thanks.

JD

Basic soy sauce and brown sugar marinade for a day then smoke them. I filet them from the inside leave the skin on to smoke. Wrap 'em up in foil with lemmon slice and goodies put 'em on the grill or in the oven or even in the fire pit.

Smoked, then served cold over a fresh salad is tough to beat.

But there's one way we used to eat them almost 50 years ago, that I still recall it to this day.

Each spring, my Dad and I would go trout fishing the small rivers and streams of west central Ma when I was a kid. When we returned to the car on those cold April mornings, my Mom would have the tailgate on the station wagon down, and the Coleman stove fired up on both burners. One burner had a pot of hot coffee. The other had a cast iron skillet with melted brown butter. On one side of the pan she'd fry a couple of our small, native brook trout rolled in corn meal, on the other, a couple of sunny side up eggs.

Streamside fried native trout and eggs was pretty cool stuff. Thanks Mom, you were the best. :clap:

When we used to camp and fish for salmon and trout at ice out, we would clean the fish, spread a little dijon mustard on the inside cavity, a little butter, salt and a little of either dill or tarragon; they both work great.Then butter a piece of foil, close it up tight, and throw it on the grill...yum