Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NHAngler

Life / Safety Vests - What are you trusting your life with?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm currently shopping for some life jackets for a new to me boat I just bought. With space as a consideration, I am leaning towards a 4 pack of the standard type 2 vests. However, that got me to thinking about if I would actually want to use such a vest or if I should upgrade and get 2 good type 1 vests (will be 2 in the boat for most trips). I do have several vests for kayaking, water sports, and fishing. Just want to have some dedicated to staying in the boat.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Inshore we wear vests. Much more comfortable to blow up preserves IMO.

Off shore we have the type 1 off shores.

Find something that is comfortable and WEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ask yourself when leaving dock..."When would be a better time to put on my Life Vest?"

The best PFD in the world is useless if you're not wearing it when needed. I always wear a Mustang Hydrostatic when in the boat. It's so comfortable you forget you're wearing it till you get in the car. :wee:

I have 2 Type I's for any event that puts the boat under water... like hitting a floating utility pole at 30 kts. I have an inflatable belt pack for any event that just finds me in the water.

I have 3 manual Inflatables, soon to be 4, for Running around Narragansett Bay,

4 Inshore type regular Vests (guests inshore/Bay)

4 Offshore Type 1 that are on when outside the Bay. (all have required SOLAS Tape along with small Water activated Strobes and a Whistle attached)

2 Kids full wrap around vests just in case any Kids come out.

Also Mounted to the Rails, an automatic "M.O.M." Unit (Man overboard Module) that deploys itself w/ a pull on the T-Handle. It releases an Inflatable Horse shoe attached to a 6' inflatable Strobe light Tower (Trigger inflates everything on water contact) These cost about $700 and $200 to rearm/repack the whole thing if it's been activated/Used.

And, last but not least, a "Life-sling" manual throw Floating Horseshoe w/ 100' floating Line attached :) (primary for overboard) About $140 at Defender

The Line is strong and can be Winched up if needed. (looks kinda like a USCG Helicopter sling)

i agree with auto inflatables, comfy and save space, not just life vests tho, if you are going out deep proper radio epirb etc. you could spend a couple bucks or a couple thousand bucks on the topic, depends how safe you want to be and what and where you are going to be.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm not trying to save money here or defeat the wearing vs not wearing of a vest / jacket. Not new to boating / kayaking and have always had what I thought were good jackets but will say that I have grown much more respect for the sea and safety of my passengers, especially when it is my son. The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of the inflatable vest and might pick up a couple. Then keep a couple of type 1's stored in the boat somewhere.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm not trying to save money here or defeat the wearing vs not wearing of a vest / jacket. Not new to boating / kayaking and have always had what I thought were good jackets but will say that I have grown much more respect for the sea and safety of my passengers, especially when it is my son. The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of the inflatable vest and might pick up a couple. Then keep a couple of type 1's stored in the boat somewhere.

Just remember an inflatable does not count as a PFD unless it you have it on. :th:

The're super comfortable, but auto and manual inflatable bladders can be compromised, and you wont know it till its too late. Offshore pfds will keep you upright if your unconscience. Having several types is good insurance.

I have both but stopped using the inflatable type because I am not willing to bet my life it will work 100% of the time. I wear them and clip on the kill switch lanyard.

I use a stormy seas vest. Made In Ak. You can add air by mouth while wearing. Or pull pocket down to use the co2. Has interior pocket that I keep sm hand held VHF in. Cooler weather it's nice with high collar. Adding a little air help with insulation.