Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evil-Bay

Fishing the bucktail from the Surf?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Im planning to use my bucktails more this year.  I having bought Jskinners book yet, but plan to.  Any tips on fishing the bucktail from the surf?  I have of Blue Frog Bucktails i want to use.  So is the technique just cast and retrieve?  Let it bounce the floor after every 2 rotaions?  Add a grub or swimming mullet or pork rind? 

Advice guys?

blue frog bucktails are great caught alot of fish on them last year use a pork rind if you just started using bucktails look for the uncle josh bucktail kit it comes with 3 bucktails and 3 jars of rind that match the bucktails..you can also buy doc muller book fishing with bucktails i think is the tittle good luck..

Johns book is well worth a read. The idea of fishing the buck tail is to keep it closers to the bottom & keep it moving. He says in his book a lot of people use heavier weight to cast future but recommends using sizes between 3/4 & 1-1/2 oz. if your getting hung up you want to either try a lighter jig or reel in a little faster. You dont want the buck tail to be on the bottom.

Definitely read Skinner's book.  Even for people who aren't novices with bucktails, it's a great heap of information.  

Also, check out Dan Tinman in the commercial bst.  Can't beat the quality or the price of his bucktails.

Im in NY, so the majority of the fish i have seen in the area are blue fish, fluke and stripers(though i have yet to catch one...FML) and the occasional sea robins.  What do i really want to catch?  My first striper of course!  But, i dont eat fish, so all i do is catch and release, so if i catch anything at all on a bucktail, i would be happy.  Since you all recommend the book, I will buy it.

Zeno's book is well worth reading, too. He emphasizes bringing the lure past structure going the correct direction (with the current) like a baitfish being dragged along. He also writes that the churning white foam just behind a wave is a spot stripers will be looking for animals dislodged from the sea floor. To stay in this zone longer, one might cast almost parallel to the shore.

blue frog bucktails are great caught alot of fish on them last year use a pork rind if you just started using bucktails look for the uncle josh bucktail kit it comes with 3 bucktails and 3 jars of rind that match the bucktails..you can also buy doc muller book fishing with bucktails i think is the tittle good luck..
+1 That bucktail is awesome!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surffishinfiend View Post

Definitely read Skinner's book.  Even for people who aren't novices with bucktails, it's a great heap of information.  

Also, check out Dan Tinman in the commercial bst.  Can't beat the quality or the price of his bucktails.

+1 on dans bucktails

Blue Frogs are great as well as others.  You will catch fish with them for sure.  Read Skinners book, (he is very informative) and try all different types of retrieves and casting positions.  I like the Uncle Josh's red and white pork strips.  I've had some luck with that color as well as just white pork strips.  Keep us posted on how you make out.

Skinners book is great, he also has a bunch of videos

check out bill wetzels videos too, lots of great bucktail info.

also SJ blog has a channel on youtube with great videos, actually a couple days ago they had a wetzel video about timing the cast so the bucktail ends up in the white water and not getting pushed around by the waves.

for me i like to fish almost parallel to the beach, casting behind the wave and working the cut behind it, speeding it up or slowing it down depending on the flow of the wave.

if im fishing structure ill attempt to get as close as possible to it without getting hung up, think of a baitfish seeking cover.

be prepared to lose a lot of jigs especially starting out.

sometimes dragging them thru the sand works really well, if the fish are grubbing

start with the lightest jig you can throw, then slowly work your way up to heavier weights, til you find the one that is not catching bottom easily.

for trailers, options are endless, pork strips, grubs, ronz tails, redgills, paddle tails, etc, all depends what your trying to replicate.

I like have white, pink and green for when the water is stained, and herring colored ones in the fall when sea herring/mullet are around.

just like any other fishing situation, be prepared to make changes and find what the fish want.