Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
river right

timing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

if you were gonna fish cape cod and you were confined to the month of august would you fish in the beginning of the month or at the end? all i have is 4 or 5 days of vacation. so when would be the most likely to get into some fish. thanks all!!

It doesn't much matter. August is hot - beginning to end - and the stripers will be off the flats and surf and out in deeper , cooler water. A boat will be necessary for the best action.

After a particularly hot summer I went to the cape for the second week of September. Water was still too warm and I caught 5 fish the whole week.

Regards,

Herb

It all depends, I've had good fishing in August, and I've been blanked, when Monomoy had tons of fish, I've seen them in shallow water that felt warm on your feet. A couple of years ago i had good fishing on the bayside flats. So if you're there, best bet is early AM in places where there's a good current to carry bait, sand eels are always your first choice fly or a silverside type streamer. Worst thing that happen is you don't catch anything, but at least you will have gone fishing.:-)

JC

i've been tying a lot for my trip and i have a ton of clousers, half and halfs and decivers. looks like i need to add another fly to my fly box. any links for a good sand eel pattern? :)

I would fish the end of the month. You should be able to find Stripers and blues plus bonito will be around and albie numbers should be going up.

i've been tying a lot for my trip and i have a ton of clousers, half and halfs and decivers. looks like i need to add another fly to my fly box. any links for a good sand eel pattern? :)

rr - Clousers and H&H's are sand eel patterns. You may need bigger patterns, but the clouser does the job in form and function for sand eel patterns. You can rent kayaks on CC and launch them on the bay side at Barnstable. Cross the harber and fish the oyster beds near the mouth of the Harbor. Then dredge deep along the channel edge. on the right side flats as you go out of the harbor later in the day on a dropping tide. The tide vacumn's the east flat and pulls everything on it into the Barnstable Channel. Be careful, out going tides can be strong and in a yak you might have a problem. If you do, paddle across to the west flat and beach the yak and walk it back to Beach Point and wait til the tide slacks off.

OR - Bring an anchor and anchor up on the channel edge and keep fishing.

You could forget striped bass and start inquiring about shore guides who know where the shallow water bluefish reside. They can fill up a day of hoots and hollers. Not as pretty as SB but twice the fight.