Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Rigging my yak

15 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a pungo yak by wilderness systems need ideas about accessories see a lot of people with milk crates also when trolling do you have pole in front of you or behind ? also thinking about getting a rod holder don't know which one any suggestions would be a big help thanks in advance joe

joev - welcome to the board. the Scotty is a nice rod holder. In your type of yak alot of guys put in flush rod holders like the boats. I know that Crazy Al has a Pungo. Hopefully some Pungo users will chime in.

Thanks for the welcome JonS where do they mount the flush type ? i saw a picture on your freshwater post is that a milk crate rod holder in your yak?

That's a new yak for me and other than a rod holder down the center beam in front of the seat I haven't decided where to put any others. Milk crates are great to bungee on to carry all sorts of things before you drill holes. I reccomend them to SOT owners so they can get the feel of the kayak before drilling.

I believe that Pumgo owners mount the flushes behind the seat to the side.

Joe: I've got a Pungo. I mounted a Scotty just behind the cockpit and to the right. I used the Scotty with a "mounting block" and the swiveling pop-out rodholder. that way, I can take the rod holder out during transit. I have a flush-mount rodholder but I have yet to mount it. It may go aft again, but on the left side. I'm not crazy about the obstruction that it will create within the aft storage area. In that area, I keep a tupperware type container for storage. Its about 14" long, 10" wide and about 5" deep. It holds my anchor, rodholder went its not in the block, bug-dope, camera, whistle, flashlight, cigars... you name it. I hardly use the little storage port that WS installs. occasionally, I'll put my keys and wallet in there. the tupperware box can be pushed even further back to make room for a small cooler, flybag, lurebag etc behind the seat. I usually stuff a drybag in the bow storage area as need be for additional clothes, picture of the wife etc wink.gif. Of course, don't forget to get a paddle leash and check out West Marine for some paddle clips to mount to the side. That's about all you need. I have a pulley system (with bungees and carabiners etc) in the tupperware box that allows me to send the anchor line out to the tip of the bow or stern, but its hard to describe and I don't use it much anyhow. Good Luck! where do you fish?

Thanks RIBIll I have been fishing in the Housatonic River & Ct river .I tried out by Stonington but there was to much boat traffic scary for a begginer also fish a bunch of small ponds in my area (Bristol Ct.)I take the RI is for Rhode Island. If so do you fish Quonny ?

Joev,

I generally think outside of the box, so here is my .02 worth. Check out the following site: www.rammount.com RAM Mount are based on the ball and socket theory, like the way your elbow works. They are completely interchangeable and I love the versatility. I have two RAMs behind my seat, and three in front of me. Why so many? Two rod holders behind, 1 in front. The other two front ones are for a GPS, and my fishfinder.

They are a little more expensive, but to me it was well worht the investment. They are also attached in minutes with rivets, no need to cut a hole.

Hope this helps...

JTnVA

Chris,

I just found this site. Per the norm, I am the last to know.

Assateague was quite the trip.

And check your email, you have pictures!!!

JTnVA

Hi joe try new haven harbor for blues. You can park on the street at long wharf drive and be into incredible fishing in just minutes. Its been going on for three weeks now, Just lock the car. Dave

I would like to thank everybody for their input this is a great forum because of people like yourselves .westhavendave i might try out the harbor on friday i have seen all the reports and have yet to catch a big fish in the yak (did lose a pike twice that was about 36 inches )mostly been catching schoolies & smallmouth bass. would like to hook into a bruiser blue for a sleigh ride ya geting myself all worked up

thanks again for info everybody tight lines joev

Joe: yes, I live on the west side of Narrag. Bay in RI, but I grew up in Southington and went to high school in Bristol, small world! don't be put off by your initial exerience around stonington. Fisher's Island Sound is The Golden Triangle, especially in the fall. I know its a bit of a haul from Bristol but it will be worth it. In addition, there is great kayak water off Groton. keep in touch.

JON,

Thank you for the words of welcome to the site.

Being a newbie I am slighly clueless, but assume you have a brick and mortar storefront. Do you have a web address too? I, and a few others I know, generally try to support our "online" kayak-fishing friends whenever possible. Any info on your store would be great.

Thanks!!

JT

Where can I get a Deck Sheath-- This can be attached to the deck of the boat, worn on a belt or hung from a fishing vest. It is used to store a bait knife and pair of dykes/pliers, while keeping them out of harm's way. Without the deck sheath, poking or stabbing yourself while on the kayak is inevitable.