Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripedbassjeff

Kayak fishing guides of east coast Florida.

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

This time my yearly trip to Florida I want too do a kayak tour. Some by trips by myself and some with a guide. I'm gong the last half of may and I'm hoping to do red fish on the space coast, Snook in Stuart,of shore in verro beach and tarpon in Miami and the keys.

I have a inflatable Hobie kayak packed with everything it weighs about 85 pounds. I tried bringing it in the plane last time and they wanted 250 each way. I later talked to a UPS guy and a hotel manager that said I could ship it to my hotel a week before and it would cost me about 60 dollars each way. Any one ever done this before if so how much out cost and was it worth it.

I haven't done that hotel shipping thing with a kayak, but have done something very similar when doing trade shows when I used to work in the computer industry, ie usually I would send the stuff about 3 days before I arrived, using a two day guaranteed delivery shipping, and you ship it to yourself, but to the hotel.   I would strongly suggest that you call the hotel in advance, to make sure of what address etc.  Ususally I would do something like:

Hotel Guest : John Doe

Holiday Inn of Fishing Paradise

Addresss1

Address 2

make sure you use tracking numbers with UPS or FedEx, and have them with you, as you can ususally use that to assist the hotel in finding the package, ie tell them it was delivered yesterday at 3:44 pm and Joe XXX signed for it.  Not sure of the shipping costs these days but you can check with UPS or fedex in advance.  It may be more cost effective to breakdown what you are shipping into several small boxes than one giant one, if you can.

When shipping back, it is probably always less expensive to box it up, and ship it back to you from a UPS store (or FedEx location), rather than ship it from the hotel as many hotels (especially larger ones), put a pretty large markup on shipping charges.

I have done this probably 10 times with computer equipment and never had an issue.

When you get to the hotel, and check in, I ususally give the bell man who gets it for you 5$ or more depending on the size and number of boxes you ship.

If you haven't fished Mosquito Lagoon before, suggest you drive to the Eddy Creek parking lot inside the Canaveral seashore, launching ramp, and start from there.   I just wade fish the flats near there and have always done well, catching  a variety of fish, seatrout (ie southern weakfish), reds, snappers, sometimes some flounder and snappers (sometimes other stuff).  usually great photo ops etc (birds, porposes, wild hogs, etc).  If you are in your Kayak you should be safe from the saltwater crocs, but they have on occasion made me nervous when they start swimming in my direction while wading (about 1 in 5 trips?) so when they get within a hundred yards I usually start backing up to shore <g>.

Good Luck. 

Thanks grizzly. Hope I make it up there. My how base is going to be fort laurderdale but I'm going to try to fly in to Jacksonville then travel South.

Anybody on this forum care if I team up while I'm here through me a pm. I'll buy the bait and beers for later.