Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stormy monday

Kayak fly fishing

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I do a lot of kayaking, surf, whitewater whatever. I've fished a little from a sit on top. I'm going down to Florida and staying on the Cocohatchee River in Naples, 2 miles from the ocean. I know they get snook, tarpon, etc in there and I've caught lots of fish from the beach in that area. But the thought of a tarpon of any size in a kayak seems daunting. Has anyone done this before and any tips for not dumping and losing all my gear?

Hi Stormy.

I caught a tarpon close to 6' long in Islamorada, FL. I caught baracuda up to 48" long in Key West. Last year, I got a 51" bass in Great Kills Harbor-- all paralyzed from my belly button down. In other words, you don't need to have any sort of strength in your midsection for catching a giant fish. It's more in your wrist and drag control. Never allow a bluefish to point directly at your kayak. Make sure his nose is always facing the side of your boat and not at your face. Ya know what I mean? I'll be out in Great Kills Harbor frequently this Spring. Look for my yellow kayak.

Redworm63 aka Johnny Wheels

Big fish actualy tire out faster when your in a kayak then in a power boat. Towing you just wears em out. Now landing them in a kayak is a different story.

Probably presumptive of me to think I'll actually catch a big fish :-)

Will probably mostly cast shrimp flies into the mangroves for snook...

I just got back , only caught one snook on a shrimp and snap float but Ive had days down here with 5 or 6 small snook on a flyrod. We use 5 wheight rods that are only 7 foot long. Standard white or chartruse barbell head flies are all you need. You will loose some flies to pinfish but if you catch one throw it back in on a spinner and youl catch big fish. I have to leave tomorrow and head back to NJ to open my shop. Im bumming big time. Its hard to leave here once you figure out the fishing down here.