Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsinbad

Ahem, how do you do it sideways?

5 posts in this topic

Since I'm a newbie at this stuff, JAS and Santiago II mentioned that they get towed sideways. How do you guys do that without being pulled in? How do you sold your rod and fight the fish at the same time being towed? What do you do when the fish is not perpendicular to your hull when you're being towed? Enquiring minds wants to know. Thanks.

It all comes with practice and experience. You'll have lots of time to figure it out. Some things aren't learned that well in print IMHO and this is one of those things.

I agree with Jon S, experience, but what you actually have to do is use your hips as a bit of a swivel and fight sideways. Yes, I think you are more exposed to the possibility of a tip. Yes I think there are some alternatives. I, for one, love to use my paddle as drag. Hooked to a bungee, I toss it over the side frquently when the wind is blowing to act as a drag chute. It could be used the same when fighting a fish. Of course it could come into play when landing, but being close and on a leash I think it's manageable. The other option is an on hand drift sock/small bucket to add drag. The goal being to tire the fish asap so you can release a healthier fish with better survival chances. My .02, Scott

It's a balancing act but it's not hard to do. You follow the fish with you rod tip when it's changing directions, sweeping the tip around the front of the kayak. When the fish picks a direction, point the rod to the front of the kayak. As you start following the fish bring you rod tip from 0 degrees (front of the kayak) to 90 degrees (side of the kayak). You have to pick your "fighting side of the kayak and play to that side of the boat.

The kayak will constantly follow the fish but in "slow motion". Once you get used to that it's easy.

It's hard to explain but easy to do once you try it.