Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Surgery for ACL AND Meniscus -- Rehab??

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anyone go through the rehab for this? My son just had this surgery and is starting on the rehab. New ACL and repaired meniscus with partial removal of the really torn up parts.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike, I went thru 2 major knee surgeries, the 1st. time was for a knee scope which is involving removal of torn cartlidge. The 2nd. was a total reconstruction of the same knee. Complete tears of the MCL + ACL and a partially torn PCL all done at the same time ... The question of rehab for your son is without a doubt make sure your son goes and completes the rehab program to rebuild the knee strength and flexibility so he can resume whatever he chooses. With-out rehab ,complications will arise in his future and depending on his age you don't what this to be an issue or hinderance.The quote of "No pain , No gain " is so true ... I had this surgery at the age of 40, it took me 16 months of hard work because of my age and the serverity of the injury and it was no joke with the rehab, but without it I can honestly say I would be a mess physically with the everyday things we take for granted. Any questions about this feel free to contact me anytime. Good Luck to your son and you...

TWorms

I had that surgery on the left knee in the early '70's. At that time they put my leg into a cast (before surgery) so the muscles would artify, for 2-3months. Then the surgery was done and my leg went back into a cast for a couple of months.

When everything was healed, the cast came off and the exercise started. It took 6 months to build my leg muscles back up.

Be very glad they don't do that crap like that anymore.

My daughter tore her ACL this past fall. She had her surgery as soon as the major swelling went down. They used tissue from her hamstring to replace the ACL. The rehabilitation process takes awhile. She was in pain for a couple of weeks after. She has just recently started 'aqua jogging' in a pool. The rehab process is slow and steady. We know a boy at my daughters school who was pushing through his rehab from ACL surgery. He ended up re-injuring. We expect about a year before she has recovered to her fullest potential. She tore while playing soccer as a senior this past year. Missed half the season after being named captain. She is going to miss all of the Lacrosse season for which she was being recruited....

Don't know how Adrian Peterson came back so strong so quickly.

Best luck to your son for a full recovery.

Not sure how relevant but after 10 years of having a shredded ACL, I got it fixed in '99. Used the patellar tendon. Also snipped a piece of overlapping meniscus off. Small scar.

Surgery in July. Cruthches/immobilizer for 1 week. Immobilizer another week. Actual rehab sessions for 8 weeks? I was in good shape before the surgery. Skied 4 days that season. It's now my better knee. Dr Sclafani, I love you.

Thank you for your encouragement. I'll be showing him this thread.

He slipped on black ice a few weeks back, ripped it up good and finally had surgery this week. We delayed a week because we switched surgeons -- Sometimes you have to go with the young Jedi. It was a long road to that decision.

Initially we saw the top rated ortho in our area and he thought it would be repaired in one surgery. But it turned out that he was not a surgeon. So we go off to see one of the top ortho surgeons. The old master wanted to do two surgeries. One to repair the meniscus, then rehab that, then go again for the ACL. Back at the non surgeon ortho we discussed that and decided to get another surgical opinion. One of the young Jedi's trained by the old master was in the office that morning so we hung around to see him. He was in favor of doing a single surgery if possible so we went with him. On the day of surgery both the old master and the young Jedi were in the surgical suite to operate on different patients and they consulted with each other on my son's case. During the surgery the surgeon came out to let us know that things went well with the meniscus repair and they could go ahead and do the ACL.

He's just 72 hours out of surgery, still very sore but doing fine. He's weaned him self down to half the max Percoset dose. For now they have him using a constant passive motion machine and his first PT sesion is set for Monday.

Was the ACL replaced with a piece of the patellar tendon?

I did some research on that and asked Dr for it based on the reported strength of the repair. However the Dr cited newer results showing a quadrupled hamstring tendon was a stronger repair so we went with that.

When I was practicing PT in our clinic it was...... take your time pal.  Quads and hamstrings.  Don't rush it.  It isn't easy.  It has pain.  But a good PT program will work and get you back.  Please remember it is called -- REHAB.  

My daughter tore her ACL & MCL playing basketball her Jr. year.  Was 10 months before she was back to anywhere close to what she was before. So do the rehab and plan on a long process.

Good luck to him!

I'm a PT and have seen people come in a few months after surgery and they usually demonstrate more deficits in strength and range of motion as to someone who started rehab right away. If your son had a meniscal repair usually he will not be allowed to weight bear on the leg for a few weeks while the meniscus heals. This is not common but I have seen it before, usually it is just a meniscus debridement which allows for weight bearing right away. Good luck and listen to the PT.

I'm a PT and have seen people come in a few months after surgery and they usually demonstrate more deficits in strength and range of motion as to someone who started rehab right away. If your son had a meniscal repair usually he will not be allowed to weight bear on the leg for a few weeks while the meniscus heals. This is not common but I have seen it before, usually it is just a meniscus debridement which allows for weight bearing right away. Good luck and listen to the PT.

Agreed ^^^^. I started my PT 3 days post-op...