Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BradyMoss

Split ring gap

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

So I changed all the split rings and hooks on my sp minnows. I went with a 1/0 4x vmc and 4h 2x split rings. At first I put these hooks on the stock sp minnow split rings and the split rings snapped right back together. But after hearing stories about these split rings I decided to upgrade them. For some reason these heavy duty split rings don't snap back together all the way. They leave a "gap" it's not a big enough gap where the hook will just slide through. Therefore I'm not terribly worried, however I wanted to know I this would be an issue at all.

Thanks for your help.

Shouldn't be happening on a hangar as small as an SP (sometimes it does on bigger even with quality splits).

You'll hear from the Wolverine favoritists-- but in my opinion-- if you're not using Rasco (or Rosco) "H" split rings-- you're making a mistake... (though I hear some others like Spro can be good too)

5.5H size, for SP minnows... for me anyway! One treble only-- flag on the tail! :wave:

Shouldn't be happening on a hangar as small as an SP (sometimes it does on bigger even with quality splits).

You'll hear from the Wolverine favoritists-- but in my opinion-- if you're not using Rasco (or Rosco) "H" split rings-- you're making a mistake... (though I hear some others like Spro can be good too)

5.5H size, for SP minnows... for me anyway! One treble only-- flag on the tail! :wave:

It's not the hanger that caused the gap....it's the 1/0 4x hook being threaded on it that caused te gap.

The split ring is the offshore angler #4 2x split ring. It's rated at 70 lbs.

What did you open the split rings with? The hanger on the SP should never cause the rings not to close tightly.

Ugh lol. It's not the hanger that caused it. It's the vmc 1/0 4x hook that causes this.

I open it with split ring pliers.

I use 1/0 6x -- way thicker than 4x-- & my splits have no issues!

"Offshore Angler..." What's that-- China made? I have lots of gear-- none Offshore Angler. But: I don't fish for Snappers... ;)

I use 1/0 6x -- way thicker than 4x-- & my splits have no issues!

"Offshore Angler..." What's that-- China made? I have lots of gear-- none Offshore Angler. But: I don't fish for Snappers... ;)

Bass pro shop brang

Ugh lol. It's not the hanger that caused it. It's the vmc 1/0 4x hook that causes this.

I open it with split ring pliers.

Brady it happens to me sometimes too. With all kinds of SRs. High end japanese, Rosco, Wolverine. I just toss it and get another one. Once a gap is introduced I have no more faith in the ring.

Offshore split rigs size #3 for some diamond jigs

I think I might have stretched it too muchsmile.gif

Any idea how to close these or how to put them on correctly 

<br />

Offshore split rigs size #3 for some diamond jigs

I think I might have stretched it too much:)

Any idea how to close these or how to put them on correctly 

Take that one off and throw it away. You need a larger split ring for that size hook and hanger. Make sure you get a good pair of split ring pliers . I like the Xurons (you can get them from jewelry making supply websites). Also, use quality split rings, like the Rosco rings mentioned earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John B View Post

Take that one off and throw it away. You need a larger split ring for that size hook and hanger. Make sure you get a good pair of split ring pliers . I like the Xurons (you can get them from jewelry making supply websites). Also, use quality split rings, like the Rosco rings mentioned earlier.

Gotcha. Thanks

I recently started making lures and therefore found I was installing a lot of split rings.

When I see results like those above I always go up a size and it seems to sort the problem.

Bryan