Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marcq

redfish

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

After seeing a few post on different sites I have noticed that their has been some warm water species in or local back bays and oceans. I went further in to asking if it was just a fluke of their is a small population of fish like redfish and sea trout in the waters of new jersey. What I have found out if that some parts of new jersey were once considered great places to fish for redfish and it had a population that was as significant as the striped bass population. obviously their is a small amount of reds that get caught in new jersey every. not like they used to be about 50 years ago.

my question is has their ever been a significant push to try to re establish a population of redfish in new jersey? What caused them to decline?

thanks marc

Hopefully cleaner water will bring them back. Though with the lack or decline or usable estuaries in south/central jersey what would really want them to come up and stick around.

It would make for a good summer fishery during the slow season.

They are on the native species for nj so I don't know why they aren't making a big deal about them. The way I look at it is the same as our flounder and weakfish they are now making progress partly do to wildlife officials doing their job and finding the problem that are being the numbers down. I haven't even seen a study done to see the population or state of the fish in nj waters.

I think the black and red drum are at the end of their migratory range in NJ. I believe they spawn in the much warmer estuaries in NC, SC, GA and FL. NJ might become the Summer destination, but i don't think we will achieve spawning gounds designation. JMHO.

If you've ever been in the Belmar Fishing Club building (the pier next to Shark River Inlet) you'd have seen all the photos of the old time fishermen in their wellingtons and ties holding some monster redfish.

Bull reds were obviously regulars here a way back.

I heard that the old timers slaughtered them out of fear they were eating a lot of the oysters, don't know the authenticity of it but that's what someone told me once.

I've read that it was the destruction of the eel grass beds here in SJ, that lead to their decline.. :wave:

you are most probably correct on that. The Pt. Pleasant Canal increased the salinity and altered the who make up of Barnegat Bay.

I've only been working out of SH for 19 years and I don't know much about NJ reds however... In all those years with collection of thousands of fish I never have seen a red in our gear. That doesn't mean they aren't around. We use certain gear in certain places and don't cover everywhere in every season. I've learned over the years that there are fish that need special techniques and timing to find them, we have never attempted to target them.

IF the pound nets get set out this year I'll ask(they might even tell me). They do get some interesting fish in those nets that don't get any attention. Like huge black drum and big triggerfish.

The only red I've ever caught was in the Ambrose Channel -@t 13 pounds while fishing for fun! 

I heard they were catching Puppy drum on the southern Jersey beaches last fall. I heard that from a couple of different people. Haven't heard of and Big reds caught there though.

I would think if they were there they would be sitting in rough water and chasing kingfish.