Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lub2pish

Custom rod question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

When getting a rod custom built can it only be built for one reel? I have a albrid and a zx22 and the spool diameter is about the same size for both. So if I got a rod built for either one of my reels will the other be ok to use too?

Have it built to maximize the best performing reel.

If the guide layout can't handle the Albrid's line velocity you will have flow issues. It won't matter that the ZB can't maximize the layout since it can't achieve the velocity the guides are supposed to handle . . .

Have it built to maximize the best performing reel.

If the guide layout can't handle the Albrid's line velocity you will have flow issues. It won't matter that the ZB can't maximize the layout since it can't achieve the velocity the guides are supposed to handle . . .

I dont do the kinda disatnce casting Rod does but I agree. build it for the one that will reap the most benefits form castin performance. given that they are close the Z will probably be fine. test casting will remove all doubt. just make sure the layout is sensible for fighting fish

First of all ( I am not a rod builder ) but if having a rod built you need to sit down with the builder & discuss what you are looking for in a rod & what your planing to do!

A good builder will explain & take measurement to your needs & Etc!

There are several rods good bad & ugly ,it's all up to your liking.

When I had my Century Stealth1 built my builder needed the spool diameter AND the distance off the blank to the top of the spool (with the reel mounted on rod).

I gave him these dimensions. Then I bought a 6000 spool for my 5000 reel. I told him the spool was 1/8 inch higher off the blank. (1/4 inch larger in dia.) :shock: He was not happy. He tore off all the guides (not epoxied yet) and laid it out again using the new dims.

Now this pertains to Fugi "K" series guides. If your reels are the same blank to top of spool you're good. If not try using different guides. Alconites may be more forgiving. Talk to your builder about it.

Thats nice that he went through the trouble but minor changes like that probably wouldnt effect it that much. I certainly wouldnt avoid using a reel the differed but that amount because the rod wasnt built for it

When getting a rod custom built can it only be built for one reel? I have a albrid and a zx22 and the spool diameter is about the same size for both. So if I got a rod built for either one of my reels will the other be ok to use too?

Sure it can be used with both , the Albrid will have better distance potential because of it's superior oscillation and spool design though, have it built with the Albrids specs in mind and use the Z when you feel like a change.