surf landings

Come spring I am going to spend a few days with the "free style" kayaks who don't fish but rather surf the waves. Why ? because I dumped on what I consider a small wave during a beach landing. I must master this. I have done some reading and realize why my bow got sucked a foot into the curl when I expected to shoot the curl. I was totally out of position and not leaning on my paddle so I watched in awe as my bow dove down & to the left dumping me.

So got any tips ?

sweetheart

Since you are looking for information about entering and exiting the surf zone in a kayak, you might want to do a Google search on the subject.

A good resource could be found at such a place as Paddle dot net article 146 which includes instructions on timing of a wave for exiting surf, and includes pictures and a demo.

For instruction on entering the surf safely , you might want to do another Google search, such as article 98 which offers additional instruction and photos on safe entry, and what to look for.

Since the saltwater surf zone is a potentially hazzardous location for all saltwater kayaks due to turbulance , you need to practice in gentle surf before tackling a heavy surf.

Always wear a life vest ( ! ) , and preferably paddle with a buddy.

I dumped on Block Island on a little 3 footer back in the fall. I actually timed it to catch the wave and have a little fun, but blew it by not leaning on my paddle on the inside (Low Brace).

I am finding a few articles on "butt surfing" cwm13.gif and found one site I liked on this subject.

Commercial link removed. MM

excerpt:

When everything goes horribly wrong and you lose control of your craft you will wipe out. Depending on the size and nature of the wave this can be very spectacular, even painful, and may well involve lots of unintentional capsizes and cartwheels. If you don't bail out of your boat, you'll find your self being pushed sideways and bounced in towards the beach. This motion is known as the bongo slide, and mastering this skill is the first step towards feeling truly comfortable in the surf.

I realize that practice is what it is going to take. Just at the beginning of the Nahant Causeway I have seen the surf yakkers having a blast. In the spring I will join them with a bicycling helmet,PDF and a wet suit. I will make sure to bring some food \\ drink \\ smoke to induce them to teach me. The Bongo Slide biggrin.gif

[ 02-21-2006, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Mullet Miller ]

sweetheart

I've learned the hard way! Don't try to surf in when fishing. When you feel the wave coming up on you, back paddle, back over it. Pretty simple after you practice it a bunch of times. Never try to surf in, and always stow everything below deck!If it's really big, get off and hold onto the stern with one hand ,and back paddle with the other hand, when the wave comes up on you. Once your able to stand, stay behind the boat all the way in... Try it unrigged a few times first cwm40.gif

Moon Powered!

EBHarvey, it looked like this-

surflanding.jpg

Practise. Don't get between a loose yak and the beach. I have a grab line on the forward deck that's handy for dragging the yak up the beach quickly. After you run in after a wave it's the next one that catches you in the suds that's a problem.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

No matter how good you get, you'll still dump. It's just more fun when you can see it coming. If you have the right boat, with lots of rocker, you'll spill less. If you're boat has none, you're fighting a tough battle. Learning to come in backwards may save you more than learning to surf well.

Laus Deo

Cool Pics!!

I got dumped once last summer in Nags Head....tried to ride the wave and got dumped.

I learned to let the wave pass and cruise in slowly behind it.

And definitely do not get between the yak and the beach.....I did and had a nice gash on my shin to prove it.

"Life is Not a Dress Rehearsal!"
Member #1666

No matter how good you get, you'll still dump. Learning to come in backwards may save you more than learning to surf well.

Good advice there...it looks goofy, but it works!

If you are gonna ride them in traditionally, practice, practice! Make sure to always keep the paddle that your leaning on betw. you and the face of the wave...once your boat starts to go in on a bit of an angle, DO NOT try to straighten it out!! Keep it at that angle for the whole ride in.

• 1 month later...

Then island wave skis we sell (do a google) wheigh only 12 lbs and are hand shaped in styrofoam. They are then hand glassed with epoxy. They have tri fin setup and a waist belt to lock you to the boat. This is not what you need the island wave skis are what the best waveriders use. Some of my customers are retired and have over 35 years expeience riding waves.

What you need is a short yak that does not track well. You realy should put thigh straps on it. When you are strapped to the yak you use your hips to throw your self into the turn. Never paddle forward to turn. Once the wave has you and you are moving toward the beach drag the blade on either side to turn in that direction. The blade should be behind you and right along side the boat. The paddle shaft is pinned tight to your hip. Having the blade flat creates the most drag and quikest turn ,but their will be times where the good guys hold the blade on an angle to get a different effect. If you get caught sideways on the wave dont try to get straight again. it aint gonna happen. What you do is lean sideways into the wave. The wave will continue to break into your yak but you wont flip over. The wave will push you all the way into dry sand sideways.

On the take off you must throw your back onto the back of the yak. You should be looking up at the sky at this point. the best guys turn their head so they can see where they are going while still keeping their back in contact with the back of the yak. The later and hairyier the takeoff the depper they will sink their paddle into the wave behind them. This and leaning backwards are what prevents "the pearl".

You must have a good urethane leash. Coiled is the way to go. If you cant find one we have 150 of them custom made every year in California. The leash lets you get back on quikly after a wipeout and you will wipeout. It also keeps your yak from washing into a swimmer or bather which could cause serious injury to them.

Barrell

BARRELL