anyone every try fishing duxbury bridge this time of year??

Rate this topic

hotfishgirl

I never see anyone fishing the bridge until the end of may.Years ago we would catch flounder and tau tog in early may but in the past two years I have not seen even 1 flounder all year and very very few tau togs.I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend.It seems there must be some kind of fish around that area??

I have tried about 5-6 years ago for flounder in early April on a warmer, sunny day with an outgoing tide, but no luck. But part of the issue may have been that I couldn't get sea worms that early in the season, and was using night crawlers, squid, and mussels.

About 3 years ago, I did the same in very late April on a similar day and tide, and took home 3 nice fat flatties, but that time I had sea worms.

If you are looking for flounder this early in the year, think SHALLOW......in fact, there is a particular spot/area there, but I ain't saying here......;)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I have tried about 5-6 years ago for flounder in early April on a warmer, sunny day with an outgoing tide, but no luck. But part of the issue may have been that I couldn't get sea worms that early in the season, and was using night crawlers, squid, and mussels.

About 3 years ago, I did the same in very late April on a similar day and tide, and took home 3 nice fat flatties, but that time I had sea worms.

If you are looking for flounder this early in the year, think SHALLOW......in fact, there is a particular spot/area there, but I ain't saying here......;)

I am planning on hitting that shallow spot with fresh clams unless I can find sea worms which I doubt. It can't hurt to try.

I am planning on hitting that shallow spot with fresh clams unless I can find sea worms which I doubt. It can't hurt to try.

When I couldn't find sea worms last year, I bought the artificial scented ones (berkley?) and they actually worked on flatties. Was able to use multiple times for multiple fish too. Every couple fish I would put back in the zip lock bag so they would get nice and stinky again. Worth a shot on a bag of 'em. It was the worst flounder season I've seen in a long time where I normally catch them but on that day, managed a nice haul.

Lobster Troll #28

When I couldn't find sea worms last year, I bought the artificial scented ones (berkley?) and they actually worked on flatties. Was able to use multiple times for multiple fish too. Every couple fish I would put back in the zip lock bag so they would get nice and stinky again. Worth a shot on a bag of 'em. It was the worst flounder season I've seen in a long time where I normally catch them but on that day, managed a nice haul.

Maybe I will try digging up my own?

Interestingly according to this study which was completed a few years ago in Plymouth/Kingston/Duxbury areas they found that the majority of the flounder they tagged didn't even enter into the the estuarine environments to spawn, and the ones that did were most abundant begining in late May.  Traditionally for me in the bay June has always been my best month, and 2010 was my best year in recent memory, the past two years for me the flounder fishing gotten progressively worse.   

http://fishbull.noaa.gov/1084/decelles.pdf

if you look at major marine electronic map sellers web site they even show you the spawning ground but the biggest problem for the flounder in the bay is the transition from the deep water holes at the beginning of the channels. the gradient is to steep in most spots for the flounder to navigate . its not alack of fish I caught plenty in the Plymouth channel.

I've been fishing there mostly early mornings and sometimes nights with clam and crippled herrings 1oz. Nothing going on yet but I've seen others beside myself. There's a place in Kingston where you may have better luck.

Do yourselves a favor and wipe the "should haves" and "what if's" from your vocab.

It was windy and not very warm. I fished outgoing tide. Just when I thought I had a nice flounder up came a huge sea robin:(.I did see a few small fish maybe 5-6 inches jump out of the water. I am curious what they were??

I think I saw you while I was clamming this morning and was quite surprised that you would fish that spot with the1.5 minus tide

and yes the standard answer to your question is white perch:D

A nice sunny day, on an outgoing tide this time of year (after April 1) has, in the past, produced winter flounder for me. Get some mussels and chum at he turn of the tide, until full low. PPB is north of Cape Cod, so, 8 fish over 12" is the allowable take. Earliest 'tog was 3rd week in April, same for school bass.