Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfie2nd

SHU FLY Switch Rod

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Is there like some secrete to casting a switch rod? I just bought one at the sumerset show and I can't cast it to save my arse. I have no problem unloading 70'with my 9' tfo or my 9' shu fly. But I can't cast this 11' 10wt to save my butt. I figured for 135.00 with life time warranty what the heck. Someone maybe wanna lead me in the right direction before I sell it cause its days away from ebay.

Lining a switch rod properly is key.  Look for a grain window from the rod manufacturer and select a line for the type of casting you'll be doing.  Lower end for two-hand overhead, middle of the range for scandi, and upper end of the range for skagit.  For example, for a 500-700 grain window, look for a line around 500-550 grains for overhead, 600 grains for scandi, and 650-700 for skagit.  (though the proper weight line can vary by an individuals casting stroke)  

As far as proper technique goes, take a look at youtube vids from Andrew Moy.  Start here.

All-in-all, Mike speaks the truth.  Take what you can from the online tutorials to get the basics down and see if the two-hander is something you'll like.  Then go get yourself some lessons.  

What line (head weight) do you cast? If it is "only" 10wt single hand line you can not reach same distance than casting 9wt line with SH rod which you haul because with short TH rod the achieved line speed is slower. With 11ft TH rod it is around 600gr head weight where it casts longer than heavy lined SH rod

Esa

Wolfie2nd,

Thats the rub as casting lessons are nearly aways the last resort. No amount of line matching will solve your fundamental problem. A TH rod can be cast effectively with lines that are not a perfect match if you can cast a TH fly rod.

Gear never solved the kind of problem that you are asking us to fix.

If you can't get lessons then there is plenty of reasonable info on You Tube to help out.

Mike

Is there like some secrete to casting a switch rod? I just bought one at the sumerset show and I can't cast it to save my arse. I have no problem unloading 70'with my 9' tfo or my 9' shu fly. But I can't cast this 11' 10wt to save my butt. I figured for 135.00 with life time warranty what the heck. Someone maybe wanna lead me in the right direction before I sell it cause its days away from ebay.
Did you speak to the owner?(skip) what line did he recommend?

Generally a switch will be best with overlining 2-3 weights and more likely being 3 weights. Try a Wulff Ambush 13 weight on that rod and see what goes.

If you are an experienced caster with single hand switch should not be that much of a stretch to pick up quickly, but if you are trying a longer head 10 weight line that's very likely your problem.

Yeah skip set it up with a 10wt intermediate. But I can tell ya that its for sure not loading properly... I'm going to sell it opened to offers its for the most part new..paid 135.00 . The season is too close to be trying new stuff out..

Looks like Skip does not know the difference between single hand and double hand rod lines? All current "Switch" rods I know are rated like longer double hand rods so you should try it with about 500gr line when you TH overhead cast.

Esa

Yeah skip set it up with a 10wt intermediate. But I can tell ya that its for sure not loading properly... I'm going to sell it opened to offers its for the most part new..paid 135.00 . The season is too close to be trying new stuff out..
Well seems like he gave you the wrong line like foulhook said you need to up line 2 or 3 lines up.

Yea but is it a single rod line 10wt which weighs in at around 280 grains. A TH 10 wt with short head comes in at around 550 grains. But even so it is still pretty easy to cast a SH 10 wt line overhead on a Switch rod.

The problem does not fundementaly lie with the rod or line.

Mike