Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfie2nd

shooting head loop options???

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hey I was wondering what kind of loop knot to use in my running line for quick connection of shooting head. And same for the shooting head because I'm going to try to make my own out of an old line.. Any help would be great

Thanks in advance,

Doug

You'll get lots of opinions on this subject.

I like braided mono loops myself. I've never has one fail.

Google "Dan Blanton getting looped" if you need info on how to apply mono loops.

SF

A Perfection Loop in Nylon shooting line is easy and strong.

When fly line is thin I usually "weld" loops to it. If line is thick I strip an inch of the coating and fold the core and whip it with fly tying thread using bobbin. I add water proof glue few times while wrapping and then finish the core and wrapping smooth with glue. The core wears out in use so I redo it when it looks worn out but they lasts many fishing sessions.

If you have only few shooting heads which get a lot of use I recommend Nylon Braid loops which are very durable. I have installed them doing three 1/4 inch wide and tight thread wrappings with glue. One to the end, one to the middle and one where braid loop begins securing actual loop which is where commercial loops sometimes fail.

Esa

Hey I was wondering what kind of loop knot to use in my running line for quick connection of shooting head. And same for the shooting head because I'm going to try to make my own out of an old line.. Any help would be great

Thanks in advance,

Doug

I used to do a bimini loop. Takes a while to tie, but lasts and goes through the guides better than a surgeon's if you cut the tag end right. This is amnesia, of course. You mileage may vary, depening on your running line.

But here's an unorthodox idea I got from someone over here. Attach you running line to the head with a simple clinch knot?! Faster and easier as long as you pull on the tag end with some pliers to make sure the knot seats.

Icon Products (the people who give you Softex) have wonderful pre made braided loops, which work wonderfully.

Icon Products, Castro Valley, CA

Mark

As Mark is one on my "E.F.Hutton" of fly fishing list, I picked up a few packs of these. Nice tight fit. It's prompted me to give shooting heads another shot. That and Orvis had some new, older model heads I picked up for 10 bucks a piece.

Wolfie, I have a couple of extra, need one or two?

Knot gave on what looked like a 30" or so just as I went to grab his lip. I release anway so hearing my drag go was good enough for me. Last night one, no bigger than my shoe.

Just happy to be in the game.

Not sure if I can get by your job, PM me an address and I'll mail the loops. Glad the other transaction apparently worked out.

DC

What is your running line? Mono, braided or intermediate????? I have been using braided mono 35lb test for over 25 years and I build a loop in that end then a make a braided loop and tye it on the head and cover it with Pliobond.

My current setup is airflo intermediate running line with a loop that I whipped and coated with a flexible head cement by loon.. Seems to do the job. Well it past a good pull test but no fish on it as of yet... Maybe tonight if I'm lucky...