Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

Dry Suits

23 posts in this topic

Guys, look into using breathable stockingfoot waders and then a dry top. The tops have a very wide elastic/rubber band (6") and neck and cuff rubber gaskets. Derrick has some in his garage and I tried them on. They'll do the job.

Jon, There are a few power plants that hold stripers all year long that the yaks would be near ideal for presentation in the warmwater discharges. I usually always use my breatheables throughout the spring-fall season but even with polarfleese undergarments I don't think I would be confortable getting to and from the discharge on my sit on tops wet deck.

Wetsuits would be near a disaster unless I drank plenty of fluids the night before wink.gif There has to be at least one other fanatic out there who has found the solution to surviving hours out on a wet deck in 40 degree water and windchills in the teens.

Of course the silence so far may mean I have passed the boundries of sanity in my pursuit of the striped bass. wink.gifwink.gif

Any dry suit users willing to share a bit of their expertise???????

Jim - the worst day I've been out in so far was a stiff NW 15-20 and a water temp of about 48. Other than my hands I was toasty and now I've got 3 mil gloves which jc reccomended to me. I can easily overdress having been an avid skier most of my adult life. Where are these power plants you want to play at? I don't thinkj that a dry suit is the proper solution because it won't allow moisture to escape and while paddling kayaking generates some moisture. I'm gonna bring the yak to the Winter FLing, are yoiu going and bringing the toy?

Jon, the power plants are on the DE river, Susquehanna River and Rehobeth Bay.

I won't be going to the winter fling Jon.

All I can imagine is being frozen to the wet deck and having to pour water over top of myself to get out of the "yak" wink.gif Cold weather fishing is what convinced me to only use bootfoot waders in the winter (I had my wading shoe freeze to my stockingfoot waders far too many times while making it back to the truck to take them off) I can see the same senario with the water on the wet deck and low wind chill factors. Granted dry suits won't stop this senario either wink.gif but might help on a wet exit in an emergency.

Jim, I hadn't thought about freezing to the deck. It just doesn't make me want to go out. Sorry yiu won't be at the Fling. One of these days we'll meet up.

Wetsuits have gotten so good in the last 5 years. They are lighter, warmer, and stretchier than ever before. And I have been selling them for 28 years. Just make sure you look at surfing suits,NOT DIVE SUITS. Dive suits are still in the dark ages compared to surf suits. Oneil and Billabong are the inovators.

Oneil will be introducing super stretch rubber this spring Billabong has it now.

I tried drysuits a couple of times and got realy sweaty although the dry paddling tops over the waders Jon S.has discussed may be a good combo. Their is a lot more to know about wetsuits and wetsuit construction before you know what you are looking at. Read KFS at my site and go to Oneill's site for more of an education. We will have super stretch suits at the A.C. fishing expo jan 26-28.

Barrell

I'm thinking maybe a shorty wet suit and my neoprene waders. The surfing suits I looked at were 1/2 mm or 1mm, and I'm wondering if that's enough protection if you go into 40 degree water. I tried my full wet suit, and there's no way I can paddle, let alone cast, with that on. It sure would be nice to be able to use the kayak down here this winter, lots of fish still around.

Doug,

Wetsuits built for surfing come in thicknesses up to 5/4/3mm (that I know of). They are made with thinner panels in the shoulders and armpits, so paddling shouldn't be a problem. It won't be quite as easy as it would be in a t-shirt, but it won't be impossible. I've surfed through winter in a 5/3, so they can definately handle the water temps.

------------------

John B

mako@bellatlantic.net

I talked to a diver friend of mine today and he suggested a "semi wet suit" for my needs. Anyone have knowledge on this item?

He said they are comfortable and allow good movement and should work great for winter kayaking by delivering the best of both worlds. He also mentioned a new material that is just reaching the USA from the UK which would be even better but he feels the price might be too great to justify its us as a kayaking suit.

Think I found what I wanted. Its a BARE all watersport dry suit. It has no valves a 5mm neoprene lower half and a fabric upper with a removeable fleese upper half.

They offer 4 different models both with or without neoprene and either non removeable fleese or removeable. The prices vary from just under 300 to almost 380.00. Much cheaper than I expected to find at a dive shop considering the dive type dry suits seemed to start around 700.00. I asked the shop owner with it being 1/2 5mm neoprene and a material top if I went it would it supply boyancy. He stated the traped air and the neo bottom would definately assist in staying up in the water. I still plan on wearing a PFD on the outside but for one who treads water like a rock this was a big plus for my usage. They also make a 3mm suit as well and 2 different full material suits with various specs.

I haven't ordered yet still thinking I might find something better for this purpose. If I can't find anything I will place my order next week and let you all have a user's report soon after.

Barrel.....do you know this company and what do you think of this suit in our fishing yak applications?

Jim d, Bare is a brand from europe I believe I sold a few of their suits in the 70's and they did not hold up. Thats not to say that in 20 years they did not improve them however

But the most important thing about wetsuits is fit. How can you order a $350 suit without trying it on. Every companies sizes run different. Unless the dealer is not going to hold you to the purchase if you dont like the fit I would stear clear of ordering a suit. The second most impotant thing is warranty. All companies put out a defect once in awhile. Discuss the way warranties are handled and if you dont know the stores reputation. Get everything in writing. I have replaced plenty of suits in the last 29 years with brand new ones. That is why I only carry Oneill and Billabong anymore. Because theese two brands have had the least amount of returns and the best warranty through the years. We sold $20,000.00 (wholsale) worth of Oneil last year and had no returns on suits just a couple pair of gloves. If you want a drysuit Oneill makes an excellant suit called the OASIS4/3. It is in their windsurfing line it should be very easy to paddle in because both sports require a lot of freedom in the arm pits. You can see it by taking the wetsuit link from my front page. But you may not need a drysuit. what time of year are you looking to go out in? And what do you consider your cold tolerance to be? How many hours do you want to be out for in bitter cold weather? Do you have any arthritic problems with your hands? The hands are the first thing to go, no matter how warm your body is. If you cant paddle your done. We dont stock the Oasis because wetsuits are so good now thats what everybody prefers. But if you want to try one on Ill order one in for you no strings attached.

Barrell

Barrel, thanks for the insight.....this wet suit/dry suit game is really new to me and I appreciate the honest advice. Fit was something that I was unaware that there were wide variances.

The reason I am looking for a dry suit was for fishing in air temps such as we currently are experiencing. (ie power plant discharge fishing in particular). My overall tolerance to cold is good but my hands do suffer from Rames Syndrome which is a reduced blood flow to the hands. It's the pits getting old! frown.gif

My theory was to try to remain dry on the SOT wet deck...ie the dry suit or semi dry suit were suggested by divers I asked. This bare is listed as an all water sport non dive dry suit and I figured the fit would only be critical for the neo pants portion and not the material top. Whatever size the shop was going to suggest I was going to go up one more size for room.

I appreciate the offer on the O'neil dry suit order.....but you are a bit too far away from me for practical commuting back and forth for sizing and trying it on. Is the price point of the O'neil suit on par with the BARE? They showed be full material dive dry suits that were 1200.00. this is a cost I can't justify for my needs.