Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Sunny, Seasonable Good Friday.............

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Actually finally feels like early Spring for a change. Was about 35 when I left at 4:30 this morning, about 54 here now. Tomorrow and Sunday will be much the same with highs in the mid 50's with clear skies early and clouding up a bit each afternoon. Sunday night may bring some light showers, then Monday clearing and high about 57. Rest of the week is sunny and seasonable albeit a bit cooler with highs only in the upper 40's to low 50's.

So, whatchya making?

Tonight is take out pizza.

Tomorrow, pasta with meatballs and sausage. For Easter Sunday, roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, artichokes and the last of the garden leeks sauteed, and a green salad. Stop and Shop has 21-25 Shrimp on sale for $6.99/lb, so may get some to have as shrimp cocktail. They also have asparagus for $1.49/lb with a $25 purchase, so may get some of that to marinade and wrap in prosciutto for another appy both weekend days.

Monday am on my own, and am not sure yet. Perhaps leftover meatballs and sausage as a sandwich, or I still have baked ham, so maybe something using that.

Rest of the week.........Got a big package of cheapy assorted pork chops yesterday for about $3 (6 chops mixed rib and sirloin), and they now reside vac packed in the freezer, so one night will be shake and bake style broiled pork chops. Maybe some faux gyros if there is enough lamb from Sunday left (the half leg I have is kinda small, so there may not be enough left over.) Other than that, it is up for debate.

Of course, the supermarkets still have all the Easter stuff on sale at least thru Sunday, some of them all week......."city hams" for less than a buck a pound at various places, turkey for about a buck a pound frozen, $1.29 fresh (Shaw's I think, if so all week), leg of lamb at Stop and Shop for $3.99/lb, Rib Roast at Shaw's for $5.99/lb (this one is all week). I will likely pick up a turkey and another rib roast for next weekend sometime this coming week while they are still on sale.

So what are YOU making?

Whatever it is, have a Joyous Easter.........:)

Thanks for the Easter wishes Steve, to you and yours as well!

Big pot of venison bolognese in the fridge, but not today...

As my grandfather used to say..."even a dog wouldn't eat meat on Good Friday" (and he was not religious at all).

When you first mentioned your on-sale pork chops I immediately though that they would have been good in the sauce.

I'll buy a pack of whatever...(cheaper, bonier, gristlier, fatter the better) brown them off well, add to the sauce and simmer. Remove the pork and save it to chew on separately.

Going to try to get to my favorite market for some nice steaks and possibly a ham, depending on what's left. My wife just drove by and called to say there is a cop directing traffic and practically a line out the door...so my hopes are not too high. But I hope to do some nice steaks on the grill with a side of spinach or brussels sprouts. No idea about tomorrow. Sunday I'm thinking of dong a tropical glazed ham (bon appetit recipe), the Griswold Inn's "Christmas Cabbage" recipe that my wife's family always makes, as well as her grandmother's famous baked beans. I just aquired both recipes from my stepmother-in-law...at what price, I do not yet know. :scared: And I'll be making two loaves of the almost-no-knead-bread, per my wife's request.

Oh, and Happy Easter, everyone!

I was thinking you were a heathen, but didn't want to be judgmental.

Just talking about that sauce and pork chops made me hungry though...

Maybe that's the point ;).

I guess I won't say that there will be sausage on the pizza tonight, then....oh wait, I just did......:o;)

(Disclaimer - We are not Catholic, or even Christian, so......but kudos to those that are and follow the tradition. :))

A meatless Good Friday/Easter joke

This guy goes to his doctor and says, I don't know what's come over me...I have this insatiable desire for Welsh Rarebit (rabbit).

Ahhh...I think you have Tom Jones syndrome.

Is it common?

It's not unusual...

-thankyou...thankyouverymuch

Got a buddy comin for the weekend.  Tonight will be left over jerk chicken.  The rest is up for grabs.  I have a pound of local ground turkey that I may do a meat sauce over some frozen home made gnocchi.   I got no clue really.  One thing I do know, THERE WILL BE BEEEEEEEEEEERbeers.gif

Small boned out lamb leg went in the garlic bath tonight, tomorrow night will go to the grill. Picas taziki, tomato, onion.

A brunch Sunday morning at a friends house.

Had a Halibut and brown rice last night, but stopped at the local German butcher for goodies for today. Brautwurst for Donna and I and fresh dogs for the kids. Holiday kielbasa will go in the crockpot for Monday. Tomorrow I'm doing a maple glazed ham. Real ham I got as part of my last pig purchase, not the generic store thing I got free from Shoprite and put in the freezer. I'm going to try my hand at a challah bread too.

Wednesday night I leave with the boys to fish Lake Ontario tribs for steelhead, so I'm going to cook something to eat off of from the cooler. Smoked chicken maybe? I'm coming back Saturday with a full hog and half a steer from my meat guy up there.