Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

Jerk Chicken in a.....Slowcooker?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Yep made some jerk chicken in my slow cooker last night.  This is the first time I have been happy with anything that I've made in the crockpot.  Basically I marinated the chicken for two days in a jerk paste which consisted of: fresh ground allspice, fresh ground cinnimin, dry thyme (would have rather fresh), green onion, garlic, ginger, salt/pepper, one of EEBS super duper hot peppers and brown sugar (may have forgotten something I dunno).  This was then frozen to use at a later date. 

I have been spending too much money on fishing gear and have been trying to eat my way through my freezer, so when I saw paymasters thread on chicken chilli in a slow cooker it got me thinking (dangerous). 

Defrosted the jerk and devised my plan to slow cook the jerk.  For the sauce I used one pale ale beer, 1/4 can crushed maters, some white vinegar, agave nectar, mollasses, few crushed garlic cloves, 7 or 8 all spice berrys, few sprigs of thyme, cinnimin stick and lined the bottom with onion. 

I put the chicken on to cook before I left for work yesterday and when I got home it was done, so cool.  The sauce needed to be strained and reduced.  When I do it again I will be putting the herbs and spices in a sachet (cheese cloth) so that I can blend it and make it chunkier.  I noticed that there was bits and pieces of the spices and didn't want to be eating that.  A cornstarch slurry was needed to thicken the reduced sauce.

So give it a try drool.gif

nice, those jamaican hot chocolate habs are killer in anythign jerk. might have to give the slow cooker idea a try myself - thinking maybe less liquid, just enough to get that braising effect until everythings cooked and soft, then into the oven at like 500 to crisp it all up. that's hot they do it, sorta, in the west idies - chicken simmers forever in the sauce, then gets flashed on the wood fire to get a nice crust and caramelize all the sugars that have soaked in.

next year you get to make it with chocolate bhut jolokias and a trinidad scorpion x doughlah cross. that'll be hot. :th:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBHarvey View Post

nice, those jamaican hot chocolate habs are killer in anythign jerk. might have to give the slow cooker idea a try myself - thinking maybe less liquid, just enough to get that braising effect until everythings cooked and soft, then into the oven at like 500 to crisp it all up. that's hot they do it, sorta, in the west idies - chicken simmers forever in the sauce, then gets flashed on the wood fire to get a nice crust and caramelize all the sugars that have soaked in.

next year you get to make it with chocolate bhut jolokias and a trinidad scorpion x doughlah cross. that'll be hot. icon14.gif

Ha don't you have anything normal?  I have so many hot peppers in my freezer!  No mas cwm31.gif

I had some jerk chicken in the Bahamas a few months ago that tasted exactly like this.  The liquid in the slow cooker was just enough to come up half way on the chicken due to the bed of onions. 

A note about the sauce......

Because of the tomatoes it will make the sauce and chicken not as hot as it would be if you broil or grill them.  Still if you use habanero + and keep the seeds you gonna get some mad.gif

This sounds good...have to try it.

re: herbs...dry vs fresh

We grow our own which is fine for the most part...not as much so in the winter (obviously not basil, tarragon or some others)

I'll go to the ethnic markets (better...cheaper) bring them home, wash and freeze them on the stems in a ziplock, then crush them up while still frozen, the leaves fall right off, then refreeze them loose.

Got to use fresh roasted allspice and cinnimin.  And it must be marinated at least over night.  I used only drumsticks and thighs.  The skin was removed.  If broiling or grilling you should leave the skin on.

So I made a jerk chicken with no knead dough.  Everything was good to go until I went to slide it into the oven and it tore :(  not enough semolina on the peel and it was wicked thin.  It was salvagable but oh what it could have been.  Will do the no knead again, retribution will be mine!

jerk chicken in the slow cooker did not work well for me. just didn't have the depth of flavor that a purely grilled one does. I may have to revisit the idea later on, see if just par-cooking it in the slow-cooker can be used to aid in the sauce/marinade absorption.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBHarvey View Post

jerk chicken in the slow cooker did not work well for me. just didn't have the depth of flavor that a purely grilled one does. I may have to revisit the idea later on, see if just par-cooking it in the slow-cooker can be used to aid in the sauce/marinade absorption.

Hmm that's too bad man.  It is much different than a regular jerk chicken because of the bbq sauce.