Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moonbat

Forget Global Warming. It's About Bees.

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Mystery Malady Kills More Bees, Heightening Worry on Farms

By MICHAEL WINES

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — A mysterious malady that has been killing honeybees en masse for several years appears to have expanded drastically in the last year, commercial beekeepers say, wiping out 40 percent or even 50 percent of the hives needed to pollinate many of the nation’s fruits and vegetables.

A conclusive explanation so far has escaped scientists studying the ailment, colony collapse disorder, since it first surfaced around 2005. But beekeepers and some researchers say there is growing evidence that a powerful new class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, incorporated into the plants themselves, could be an important factor.

The pesticide industry disputes that. But its representatives also say they are open to further studies to clarify what, if anything, is happening.

“They looked so healthy last spring,” said Bill Dahle, 50, who owns Big Sky Honey in Fairview, Mont. “We were so proud of them. Then, about the first of September, they started to fall on their face, to die like crazy. We’ve been doing this 30 years, and we’ve never experienced this kind of loss before.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/science/earth/soaring-bee-deaths-in-2012-sound-alarm-on-malady.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0&pagewanted=print

"The pesticide industry disputes that."   Big shocker there.

Big Chem vs. Big Agri because Big Bee is hurting.

Is the tag team of Big Bee and Big Agri more powerful than Big Chem?

25% of what we eat is dependent upon Big Bee.

And where are the conspiracy theorists?

I've been following CCD (casually) since first hearing about it.

Study links bee decline to cell phones - CNN

articles.cnn.c/2010-06-30/world/bee.decline.mobile.phones

A new study has suggested that cell phone radiation may be contributing to declines in bee ... dubbed "colony collapse disorder" ... to radio waves." ...

Millions of Bees Die - Are Electromagnetic Signals To Blame ...

www.newmediaexplorer.o/sepp/2007/03/06/millions_of_bees_die_are...

A timeline documenting the disappearance of the bees and Colony Collapse Disorder ... if radio waves from a submarine can cause a whale to loss its way home why …

I've been following CCD (casually) since first hearing about it.

Ditto with the exception of I started just a couple years ago. Do you know if Europe is experiencing the same stuff?

This stuff may be ok and not the cause of CCD, but to a layperson like me it makes me think about growing my own.

While each substance has been certified, there has been less study of their combined effects. Nor, many critics say, have scientists sufficiently studied the impact of neonicotinoids, the nicotine-derived pesticide that European regulators implicate in bee deaths.

The explosive growth of neonicotinoids since 2005 has roughly tracked rising bee deaths.

Neonics, as farmers call them, are applied in smaller doses than older pesticides. They are systemic pesticides, often embedded in seeds so that the plant itself carries the chemical that kills insects that feed on it.

Older pesticides could kill bees and other beneficial insects. But while they quickly degraded — often in a matter of days — neonicotinoids persist for weeks and even months. Beekeepers worry that bees carry a summer’s worth of contaminated pollen to hives, where ensuing generations dine on a steady dose of pesticide that, eaten once or twice, might not be dangerous.

same source

The bees are striped canaries.

De-gibberish:  Canaries (yellow for the most part) were taken into mines to forewarn of deadly gases to miners; honey bees (yellow for the most part) are striped and may be a forewarning.

I had never before heard of pesticides "being incorporated" into the plants themselves.  Nevertheless, I’ll assume that the fruit part of the plant isn’t so effected—or, if it is, there is no proof that it is harmful for people to ingest.  The crops yields are better (more profitable), until we learn more.  biggrin.gif

At about the 8 minute mark, one of the beekeepers opined he believed EPA staff personnel seemed to have interest and concern.  The beekeeper expressed his belief that upper management should be fired and replaced.

(Sounds like he could be talking about NJDEP in that our now, "Commissioner Martin intends to instill, through cultural change within the organization, a customer service focus in which DEP is no longer viewed as an obstacle, but rather a driver for economic growth that does not compromise environmental protection.")    redface.gif

Good move; well played!    clapping.gif

Originally Posted by RCrowley View Post   I'm sensing a link between Ethanol,corn yields, and the demand these pesticides.

…and now we can just move onto liberals, environmental zealots and, our favorite:  Obamadrama.

Somebody PM Little to tell him that he can get back on his horse again, to protect the value of his shares in Big Oil from alternatively fueled, hybrid and other turd vehicles.   tongue.gif

there's an area in china where some old guy goes around with pollen and a feather cuz all the bees are gone

I saw a documentary about people in China having to manually pollinate crops.

They too used feathers; I think they were pollinating fruit trees.

If the bees die, will we die, too? - Prairie Policy Centre ...

www.prairiepolicycentre.c/agriculture/item/20-if-the-bees-die...

CCD is rampant in both North America and Europe, with the exception of Scotland, ... Manual pollination is done on ladders using either a paintbrush or a duster, ...