Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeM58

Rough Day

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

I had a high PSA test about a month ago. Had the test redone to make sure it wasn't a false positive. It came down, but was still high. I had NO symp Verdict: Do a biopsy on my prostate to make sure I don't have cancer. I had that done yesterday, and let me tell you, it sucks! they push a stick up your ass to look at your prostate with a sonogram, basically measure it and target it. The stick is not small. Also on the stick is a big ass needle that they shoot darts into your prostate with the retrieve "core samples" to biopsy. They take twelve samples from all over the prostate. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes that seems like ten hours. They do shoot you up with Novacaine, but that's another needle stuck into places they shouldn't be.

When it was all done, the urologist said he didn't see anything that let him to believe I had prostate cancer and that my prostate was normal sized, maybe even a little small. I'm left wondering, then "why did we even do this?" Now I have blood in the urine and stool for a few days and spent the rest of yesterday feeling like I'd spent a weekend at Riker's. Still a little sore today.

Of course, I get home after this is done and start reading my "Men's Health" magazine. In there is an article about how PSA tests are not reliable and that doctor's are doing a ton of unnessary biopsies, because its a quick and easy 2 grand for them. It goes on (I also found articles in the Houston Cronicle and the Chicago Trib, both saying essentially the same thing) to talk about unnessary removal of prostates.

In the end, I'll get the results back next week, and hopefully I will get the piece of mind that I don't have Prostate cancer, but this whole thing has been a pain in the butt (pun intended).

Yuck. I'm sorry man. I'm sure you're fine, but I'm one of those "anxious" types. I don't do waiting very well. Sounds like you went through hell. :( I suppose my time is coming for these exams too.

Bleah.

Thanks Mokes. I might have been somewhat dramatic, but the biopsy is a very weird, uncomfortable expierence (and yes, some pain). I've consulted with a few other doctors, so I'm ready for the results one way or the other. I feel great, which is why this whole episode is surreal.

Best of luck with the results.....

Not surprised by the info in the Men's Health article....

I thought that prostate cancer was the one that I read awhile ago that like 90% of men die "with" prostate cancer, but very few die "of" prostate cancer. I could be mistaken, but I think it is prostate cancer. the reason purportedly is that in all but the most rare cases, the cancer is so slow growing that you will die of old age before the cancer gets you. IMO, be wary of any doc that wants to operate as a first course of treatment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMunn View Post

Thanks Mokes. I might have been somewhat dramatic, but the biopsy is a very weird, uncomfortable expierence (and yes, some pain). I've consulted with a few other doctors, so I'm ready for the results one way or the other. I feel great, which is why this whole episode is surreal.

No dude you are cool. That had to suck! He could have seen your prostate was not enlarged before he biopsied it.

Not surprised by the info in the Men's Health article....

I thought that prostate cancer was the one that I read awhile ago that like 90% of men die "with" prostate cancer, but very few die "of" prostate cancer. I could be mistaken, but I think it is prostate cancer. the reason purportedly is that in all but the most rare cases, the cancer is so slow growing that you will die of old age before the cancer gets you. IMO, be wary of any doc that wants to operate as a first course of treatment.

No, you're right. Around 10,000 men died of prostate cancer last year and over 8500 of them were over 80 years old. I'm not jumping under the knife anytime soon!

That blows, Mike. Best of luck. This issue is becoming so common that it's scary, especially as we age. Sending good vibes.

Thanks man!

I thought that prostate cancer was the one that I read awhile ago that like 90% of men die "with" prostate cancer, but very few die "of" prostate cancer. I could be mistaken, but I think it is prostate cancer.

You are not mistaken.

More old men die with prostate cancer than from it.

No, you're right. Around 10,000 men died of prostate cancer last year and over 8500 of them were over 80 years old. I'm not jumping under the knife anytime soon!

Most of Zappa's projects came to a halt in 1990, when he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. The disease had been developing unnoticed for ten years and was considered inoperable.

Zappa was 52 years old when he died from prostate cancer.