Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Parrot6909

First time I/0 owner, need some help

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

So after 20+ years of owning only outboards I bought a new to me ride. 22' Grady Seafarer with an I/O....I couldn't afford to replace my Honda 4 stroke that I sold, took some 2 strokes for test rides and apparently got spoiled without the smoke and noise. Decided to try the I/O route as it was the closest to a 4 stroke outboard on fuel economy and noise level sans smoking...

So, need some suggestions on spring start up and maintenance issues. Motor is FWC if that matters. No idea how to inspect bellows and things to that nature. Boat was winterized last year, not sure if there was an oil change or not. Outdrive maintenance....I know how to change my lower unit oil but are there other maintenance items to take care of?

check bellows for cracks, most like to pull the I/O during the winter, gives them a chance to tear it down and look it over. Find a GOOD mechanic who is willing to go over the common items with you.

FWC if its a full system (manifolds/risers full of antifreeze) then you have a setup that lasts forever.

A good I/O or Inboard will beat an outboards efficiency all day long.

if you don't have milky looking oil in the foot then your seals are good to go ---lower unit lube change and you should be good to go boating . If your bilge is on an automatic switch and it isn't coming on then your  foot boot is probably in good shape. In this part of the USA beavers will eat holes in the out drive boot if the boat is left in the water all year long . If you live in an area with rodents in the water ,,lift or remove boat when not in use.  

If you slip the boat, keep your zincs fresh and check them often. A boat near yours with loose current will eat your zincs and then start in on your housings and transom bracket. Don't ask me how I know.

I appreciate the feedback. I decided to get her checked out fully by my trusted merc guy. My biggest concern is the bellows and outdrive servicing. I'll have those done and hopefully splash her shortly. She's in my slip from whenever she goes in (usually 4/1 but with Sandy we are still working on some issues in my neighborhood, hence the slow start) and comes out around Christmas week. Here's to hoping!

Don't forget the have the u joints checked. If it makes noise when the steering is hard over then the u joints are going bad or are bad. I had outdrives for 20 years, they are all junk.

Well, it appears I won't have to worry about it. When prior owner winterized it he didn't drain her properly. Cracked block. Sold the boat, decided to not buy another headache. Sea trial tomorrow on a brand new ride with an etec. Much more my speed. Thanks for all the responses.